PDA

View Full Version : New Material/Finish to Me, need some advice

Pages : [1] 2

chilly
09-06-2021, 01:43 PM
I have never dealt with the trim like this on my 2020 Lexus

It’s plastic with an iridescent bronze finish and it’s everywhere from the grille to the tail end

It has water spots and bonded contaminants

Before I attack it and treat it like any other painted plastic trim I wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with it

Any and all suggestions appreciated

Thanks

PS, the picture doesn’t bring out the rich bronze color but I guess that doesn’t matter

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210906/9009e560bd4a53495516b41489d4608b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
09-06-2021, 01:48 PM
Well bonded contaminants can be dealt with using IronX, the water spots can probably be hand polished out.

Because that piece is so intricate, after you handle the problem, using that 303 Touchless Sealant will make it fast and easy! Man that looks like quite alot work.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

chilly
09-06-2021, 02:01 PM
Well bonded contaminants can be dealt with using IronX, the water spots can probably be hand polished out.

Because that piece is so intricate, after you handle the problem, using that 303 Touchless Sealant will make it fast and easy! Man that looks like quite alot work.

Intricate?

[emoji20]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210906/1e54e911cd1fc6aa7223262174c43b21.jpg

Part of the recesses go all the way through and I can get a microfiber with a popsicle stick in there but lots of them had a solid back and are going to be a nightmare

I have been looking at some foam “lollipop” applicators for getting in there

I’m thinking I will try 3D Speed first as it’s the least aggressive thing I have

Guess I will lie down and swab some iron remover on a bottom part to test it

Same with the Speed, make sure it doesn’t wreck the finish

And yeah, this was what they had in mind with the water activated sealants

Klasse Act
09-06-2021, 02:10 PM
Intricate?

[emoji20]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210906/1e54e911cd1fc6aa7223262174c43b21.jpg

Part of the recesses go all the way through and I can get a microfiber with a popsicle stick in there but lots of them had a solid back and are going to be a nightmare

I have been looking at some foam “lollipop” applicators for getting in there

I’m thinking I will try 3D Speed first as it’s the least aggressive thing I have

Guess I will lie down and swab some iron remover on a bottom part to test it

Same with the Speed, make sure it doesn’t wreck the finish

And yeah, this was what they had in mind with the water activated sealants

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkFirst off, love your plate frame as my daughters name is Kendall[emoji5]

Once you get the grill clean and perfect, wash it real good and spray the Ironx in there and rinse it down and THEN seal it up with that 303 Touchless Sealant and honestly, I'd top it up every other week to make cleaning THAT as easy as possible...WHOA[emoji15]

Eldorado2k
09-06-2021, 03:02 PM
Do you have a blower/air dryer?

I’d say the best way to maintain that would be with a boars hair brush in soapy water, followed by a rinse and immediately blow dry.

The middle part of that grill [behind the license plate] appears to have a plastic backing that would benefit from using something like Trim Shine on it.

Klasse Act
09-06-2021, 03:04 PM

I’d say the best way to maintain that would be with a boars hair brush in soapy water, followed by a rinse and immediately blow dry.

The middle part of that grill [behind the license plate] appears to have a plastic backing that would benefit from using something like Trim Shine on it.Good idea Ric[emoji106][emoji106]

Eldorado2k
09-06-2021, 03:07 PM
Good idea Ric[emoji106][emoji106]

I try to be extra careful cleaning grills like that.

I not only dip the brush in the soap, but then I take a mitt and put it over the grill so it drips soap all over the grill as I’m brushing it, to add as much lubrication as possible in order to prevent any possible scratching.

Rsurfer
09-06-2021, 03:10 PM
I would clean that grill with Car Pro's Hydro Foam and a boars hair brush. I have basically the same kind of design on my Infiniti tho not as much.

Leaves some Sio2 protection which makes for easy cleaning. I also give mywheels (coated) a good Hydro wash every 2 months.

chilly
09-06-2021, 04:33 PM

The middle part of that grill [behind the license plate] appears to have a plastic backing that would benefit from using something like Trim Shine on it.

I use my big CLEANED OUT shop vac on blow

Works pretty good

I use a boar’s hair with a spray bottle of Gold Class car soap at a heavy dilution

The majority of the water spots are from sitting in the barge company parking lot in Honolulu for over a month until I could get it shipped

Still fighting those on the whole car

It’s a process

chilly
09-06-2021, 04:36 PM
I would clean that grill with Car Pro's Hydro Foam and a boars hair brush. I have basically the same kind of design on my Infiniti tho not as much.

Leaves some Sio2 protection which makes for easy cleaning. I also give mywheels (coated) a good Hydro wash every 2 months.

I think I will keep correcting and protecting the blue paint and just keep washing and protecting all this bronze trim as you guys have suggested

Thanks

[emoji1689]

Klasse Act
09-06-2021, 04:36 PM
I use my big CLEANED OUT shop vac on blow

Works pretty good

I use a boar’s hair with a spray bottle of Gold Class car soap at a heavy dilution

The majority of the water spots are from sitting in the barge company parking lot in Honolulu for over a month until I could get it shipped

Still fighting those on the whole car

It’s a process

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOh yeah all that salt water, need a product that sheets instead of beads[emoji362][emoji848]

chilly
09-06-2021, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah all that salt water, need a product that sheets instead of beads[emoji362][emoji848]

Luckily we live a mile up the mountain where it’s dry and the car is garaged

Salt water spray is no longer an issue

If we go to the beach we take the truck

But sheeting is still a good idea

[emoji1303]

Rsurfer
09-06-2021, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah all that salt water, need a product that sheets instead of beads[emoji362][emoji848]

Haven't found a product that's truly hydrophilic that leaves no beading. Any suggestions?

chilly
09-06-2021, 04:58 PM

I just looked up Hydro Foam

That appears to be some potent stuff

Sounds like a spray bottle of that with my boars hair is just what I need to go over the various sections of this trim one at a time

Thanks again

Klasse Act
09-06-2021, 04:59 PM
Haven't found a product that's truly hydrophilic that leaves no beading. Any suggestions?Bryan from Apex Detailing has a spray on product that sheets water instead of beads it, check it out[emoji6]