PDA

View Full Version : Clear bra removal

Epilogts
09-04-2021, 03:37 PM
So I’ve been harping on the GF to have her clear bra replaced. She got the car used and it had a cheap bra installed. It served it’s purpose protecting the paint but fogged up and started to peel up on the trailing edge.

I finally talked her into getting it done before this winter, so now it was my job to remove the old one :(.

Cloudy and peeling clear bra:

A heat gun and a slow peel removed the bra but left most of the adhesive behind:

Goo Gone and some elbow grease removed about 50% of the adhesive pretty easily. Then I broke out a microfiber pad and some Clearcut. It made quick work of the remaining adhesive, and finished out well on the hard VW paint.

Klasse Act
09-04-2021, 03:44 PM
So I’ve been harping on the GF to have her clear bra replaced. She got the car used and it had a cheap bra installed. It served it’s purpose protecting the paint but fogged up and started to peel up on the trailing edge.

I finally talked her into getting it done before this winter, so now it was my job to remove the old one :(.

A heat gun and a slow peel removed the bra but left most of the adhesive behind.
Goo Gone and some elbow grease removed about 50% of the adhesive pretty easily. Then I broke out a microfiber pad and some Clearcut. It made quick work of the remaining adhesive, and finished out well on the hard VW paint.

74288The sequence threw me off a bit, it came out as an "after and before" instead of "before and after", I've noticed this lately myself, so I basically do one pic at a time since it wants to follow its own order[emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Epilogts
09-04-2021, 04:45 PM
The sequence threw me off a bit, it came out as an "after and before" instead of "before and after", I've noticed this lately myself, so I basically do one pic at a time since it wants to follow its own order[emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah the pictures had a mind of their own, but I mostly had a problem with it not wanting to post the after picture.
But it appears to be working now…

ducksfan
09-05-2021, 10:23 AM
I have never removed any. I know a steamer is the preferred method of some. I wonder if steam would have worked better with the adhesive.

Epilogts
09-05-2021, 04:01 PM
I have also heard about using the steamer. With the steam I would think the risk of damaging the clearcoat might be slightly less, but as long a you’re careful with the heat gun I would think the end results would be the same.

The adhesive however came off remarkably easy with a little compound, I don’t think hitting it with the Goo Gone first was really necessary.

Cosmin
09-07-2021, 10:02 AM
i hate removals ......you can peel the paint , and is a looooot of elbow grease.
for removal i use boiling water and steamer. heatgun will take forever plus you can damage the paint.

for glue , i use plastic razor blades with rapid removal , and 3m adhesive removal( for this be careful with plastic and headlights - can bleach or stain / is a solvent)
all followed by compound
i had A partial hood removal that was all cracked and yellow , took me half day to remove....
if you do remove ppf as a package , have a waiver signed so you are not liable for paint peeling also inform the client about the risk , also quote accordingly