PDA

View Full Version : Water Softeners for Detailing

chilly
09-03-2021, 06:03 PM
Our water is super hard and full of minerals

I have looked at the resin type filters but I have also read that they never get anywhere near the life they claim and that recharging them is quite expensive

That leaves a whole house water softener

How well does the water they produce work with all of our chemicals and processes

I personally hate showering with soft water and trying to get the soapy feeling off me but if it means no water spots on the vehicles and better efficiency of soaps and stuff I can live with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icarus
09-04-2021, 12:04 AM
You could use the whole home one for only washing depending how/where you hook it up and it will last a lot longer then using it in the rest of the house if you don't like soft water for other things...

As for recommendations I don't know sorry. I've been thinking of the same thing too for past couple years but never committed to anything :/

chilly
09-04-2021, 12:10 AM
I have seen folks with the resin filters and they only use it for the final rinse to make it last longer

We have solar hot water and running softened water through the system would be a very good idea as the panels really lose efficiency as they clog up with minerals

My wife hates the minerals on all the faucets and shower and stuff so I think a whole house system makes sense

I appreciate the input

2black1s
09-04-2021, 12:23 AM
I'm not a real expert on this topic but here is my understanding nonetheless. I did some research several years ago when I was in your shoes. I ended up building my own RO/DI system.

A water softener will help but it will not eliminate water spots all together. The TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) level of the water coming out of the water softener will be the same as the TDS going in. The difference being the type of dissolved solids.

Your tap water contains dissolved hard minerals such as calcium, magnesium, etc. The water softener replaces those dissolved hard solids in a 1 to 1 ratio with softer sodium.

As for water spots, the sodium spots left behind when using a water softener are not as visible as the harder minerals. They are still there but they are not as bad. And they wipe away much easier. At least that is my experience when I have used softened water.

chilly
09-04-2021, 12:27 AM
Wow

That’s an awesome science lesson

I guess I have a lot to think about

What’s an RO/DI system?

I appreciate all the info

2black1s
09-04-2021, 12:32 AM
RO/DI = Reverse Osmosis/Deionized

The RO is used as a pre treatment for the water prior to running it through the DI resins. The RO process removes approximately 90-95% of the dissolved solids. By doing so the DI resins last much longer.

chilly
09-04-2021, 12:34 AM
Thanks

I really have a lot of research to do

Cheers

[emoji1303]

2black1s
09-04-2021, 12:37 AM
Here's a pic of the system I built...

chilly
09-04-2021, 12:41 AM
I was looking at a 4 filter whole house cartridge system similar to the one you are showing that was a partial substitute for a softener

I assume it was a resin system

chilly
09-04-2021, 10:31 AM
Here's a pic of the system I built...

Is this a home system or in your professional environment?

2black1s
09-04-2021, 03:36 PM
Is this a home system or in your professional environment?

Home.