PDA

View Full Version : Truck Bed Detailed...

2black1s
09-01-2021, 12:26 PM
Detailed the inside of the bed of my truck. I typically don't do the inside of the bed with each and every wash other than blowing out the major stuff, i.e., leaves, twigs, etc. Periodically I'll give it the "works" and that's what I did here.

Last night I washed (and scrubbed) the factory spray-in bed liner with an APC and a tire brush. Then I used the dedicated leaf blower to get rid of the excess rinse water and let it dry out thoroughly overnight.

This morning I applied a coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer to the spray-in liner and Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant to the rubber mat.

I don't have any before pics (it wasn't all that bad) but here's what it looks like now...

2black1s
09-01-2021, 12:35 PM

dgage
09-01-2021, 01:13 PM
Looks like a new truck that doesn't get used as a truck. You really should use it as a truck you know. :D

2black1s
09-01-2021, 03:19 PM
It's not really a work truck but it does get used for lumber and building materials from time-to-time. But whenever I do that I take precautions to protect the bed. It's a 2015 that I bought new.

Burger
09-02-2021, 12:30 AM
Looks very satisfying. The white cross pieces, are they ratchet straps to help keep things from sliding around?

hoyt66
09-02-2021, 05:05 AM
Wow! That's ambitious. Looks better than new!!

luckydawg
09-02-2021, 05:32 AM
Looks as good as new-- if its kept inside it should last a while. I keep mine outside so it wouldn't be practical for me to do since the product advertises longevity of " a few weeks". I have to say you have more time and energy than me to do that-- but the truck looks REALLY good -- even for a chevy!!
Nice job!!

Bobby B.
09-02-2021, 07:49 AM
That looks great! I like to keep my tuck bed clean too.

PA DETAILER
09-02-2021, 08:04 AM
Nothing wrong with that at all. Mine looks like new also. I have a tonneau cover. So bed stays clean for the most part. Once in a while i will put a APC to it, rinse it, and let it air dry. My ZR2 also has the spray in bed liner.

2black1s
09-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Looks as good as new-- if its kept inside it should last a while. I keep mine outside so it wouldn't be practical for me to do since the product advertises longevity of " a few weeks". I have to say you have more time and energy than me to do that-- but the truck looks REALLY good -- even for a chevy!!
Nice job!!

It is garage kept and the only sun it generally sees is while it is being driven. Of course there are some exceptions.

This is only the second or third time I've applied the "Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer" to liven it up. Even though the product works well in my situation, any suggestions for another product with greater durability are welcome.

These factory spray-in liners that GM applies are not very UV resistant and they fade quickly when exposed to sunlight. Back when the truck was new I was working on a job for three months where the truck sat outside. In that three months the fading was obvious.

I used the "Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer" product back then and it revived the liner quite well, therefore it's my go-to at this point. Although this time around, I also tried some "303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating" and "Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant", along with the "Plastic Restorer", on three test spots before proceeding.

The "Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer" provided the best result aesthetically.

I applied it liberally using a rag and then spread and evened the product with a medium-stiff tire/wheel brush.

The complete job, cleaning and applying the product, took me 3.5 hours.

Looks very satisfying. The white cross pieces, are they ratchet straps to help keep things from sliding around?

Exactly... Ratchet Straps.