PDA

View Full Version : best looking coating

Pages : [1] 2 3

wildwilly1
08-31-2021, 09:19 AM
this is for my personal 1996 bronco i have restored paint has been polished and looks great. what coating is going to give me the deepest wettest looking finish , i tried gyeon pure was not impressed at all with it ?

Desertnate
08-31-2021, 09:39 AM
Most coatings I've used will give you a more glassy, reflective finish vs a wet, glossy, deep, appearance like you get from a wax or some sealants.

Bill D
08-31-2021, 09:42 AM
That's the main reason why I continue to use wax-sealants. Not a fan of the Saran Wrap look. I much prefer depth.

noorth
08-31-2021, 09:45 AM
I'm a coating noob but i do find Nv EVO darkens the paint more then CQUK. I have both on my bluestreak metallic car. I applied it to my front bumper yesterday and the darking effect seem to start within a hour of the wipedown. Its very easy to use too.

wildwilly1
08-31-2021, 10:00 AM
let me rephrase this then which coating is going to give me the glossiest most reflective finish

The Guz
08-31-2021, 10:04 AM
let me rephrase this then which coating is going to give me the glossiest most reflective finish

Polishing will give the glossiest reflective finish. A coating is just the icing on the cake. Better question is what coating(s) are you interested in?

Bobby B.
08-31-2021, 10:06 AM
Is the paint on your 1996 Bronco single stage or base coat / clear coat?

wildwilly1
08-31-2021, 10:07 AM
i am interested in whichever coating will look the best

wildwilly1
08-31-2021, 10:07 AM
its a fresh repaint last year base and clear

Desertnate
08-31-2021, 10:15 AM
That's the main reason why I continue to use wax-sealants. Not a fan of the Saran Wrap look. I much prefer depth.

For me it depends on the color and type of paint.

For white (solid or pearl), silver, gray, and most metallic colored paints, I really like a glassy looking coating. For dark solid colors like red or black, I don't think a glassy coating would be the right match if you prioritize appearance in your LSP.

WildWilly1: I can't believe I'm saying this, but if we're talking about a daily drive and you want a deep, wet look, and the great durability of a coating, you might want to apply a coating and then periodically use a good spray/wax sealant on top to give you the depth you want.

The Guz
08-31-2021, 10:20 AM
i am interested in whichever coating will look the best

There is no best as it is rather subjective. As I stated polishing will give a majority of the gloss and slickness. Pick an established brand and enjoy the coating.

You will get everyone recommending different coatings and that is why I asked what brands are you looking into.

wildwilly1
08-31-2021, 10:50 AM
this is not a daily driver the vehicle is black , just wanting opinions on what you guys think

Bobby B.
08-31-2021, 10:54 AM

Glossiest and Reflective Finish is mostly from your polishing process. There's excellent ceramic coatings on the market these days for consumers. CarPro, Gyeon, GTechniq, Optimum, Wolfgang, Pinnacle Black Label, Blackfire, and DP all offer excellent coatings. I personally enjoy working with the Blackfire Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition.

Eldorado2k
08-31-2021, 11:46 AM
Polishing will give the glossiest reflective finish. A coating is just the icing on the cake. Better question is what coating(s) are you interested in?

Glossiest and Reflective Finish is mostly from your polishing process.

But if it’s not prepped until all the “polishing oils” are wiped off, then how are you really squeezing all the juice out of the polishing step? Correct me if I’m wrong, but IMO it doesn’t look any better than standing back and having a good look at your vehicle immediately after you’ve just finished polishing it with [just for example, Meguiars Ultimate Polish] and you can almost swear it’s those polishing oils that are essential in them calling it a “Pre Waxing Glaze” that makes all the difference…

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210831/387178b0c2d6f03b02b90f9429c7cd5d.jpg

But if you’re wiping away all that goodness that the “glaze” provides, and it’s an essential part of why that particular polish provides “deep reflections & hi gloss” combined with the fact that a coating is “just icing on the cake”… Then how are you not settling for less when it comes to looks?

Am I crazy to think that you’re leaving some potential juice on the table due to Having to wipe off any polishing oils prior to the final step?

I don’t use coatings, I’m a sealant person. I also never wipe off anything with IPA or do a prep wipe prior to applying lsp, because there’s no issues, just that way I like it.

The Guz
08-31-2021, 12:18 PM
I don’t use coatings, I’m a sealant person. I also never wipe off anything with IPA or do a prep wipe prior to applying lsp, because there’s no issues, just that way I like it.

I won’t get into all the details but there is plenty of information on coating prep.

My advice would be to try a coating. It’s the only way to truly know.

I’m basing this on my experience with coatings for over a decade.