PDA

View Full Version : Gyeon Encapsulation?

CleanIT
08-27-2021, 04:20 PM
I put Wet Coat on our white car, heavily (just to test). It's been a month. It just rained and I noticed dirt moving around as I was driving. When I got out of the car, I noticed it. I've never seen this before, however I've always had dark colored cars so that could be why. Is this common? Could this be why Gyeon gave WC 5 stars for self cleaning?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210827/3d2daf6e5a588404b713cb8b6edc991f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210827/2ba8493bc88a232a02b225ee0f868f8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klasse Act
08-27-2021, 04:23 PM
Subscribed [emoji298]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bruno Soares
08-27-2021, 04:32 PM
I feel like every time water beads, if there’s dust or some dirt that is powder like, it gets encapsulated like that. Very easy to see when it’s pollen season.

And I feel this is what makes coatings show water spots easier, it concentrates the pollutants and then when the water evaporates it leaves behind that round mark that if not cleaned etches the clear coat.

CleanIT
08-27-2021, 04:33 PM
I feel like every time water beads, if there’s dust or some dirt that is power like, it gets encapsulated like that. Very easy to see when it’s pollen season.

And I feel this is what makes coatings show water spots easier, it concentrates the pollutants and then when the water evaporates it leaves behind that round mark that if not cleaned etches the clear coat.

That would make sense. Good point.

TTQ B4U
08-28-2021, 06:36 AM
I feel like every time water beads, if there’s dust or some dirt that is powder like, it gets encapsulated like that. Very easy to see when it’s pollen season.

Agree with the first part. Second part may vary for some depending on the product used, but I've been using various coatings for a while now and have never seen water spots from rain water. The only time I encountered issues is when municipal water is involved as in sprinkler systems. Otherwise, I've had plenty of instances where on my black cars a storm will hit and then the sun will pop out and quickly dry the surfaces but the spots cause no issues. My sons car sits outside 24x7 too.

Older coatings and definitely with some sealants I would agree, spotting is a concern but with the modern coatings I've not seen it. Call me lucky.

Coatingsarecrack
08-29-2021, 05:45 AM
Agree with the first part. Second part may vary for some depending on the product used, but I've been using various coatings for a while now and have never seen water spots from rain water. The only time I encountered issues is when municipal water is involved as in sprinkler systems. Otherwise, I've had plenty of instances where on my black cars a storm will hit and then the sun will pop out and quickly dry the surfaces but the spots cause no issues. My sons car sits outside 24x7 too.

Older coatings and definitely with some sealants I would agree, spotting is a concern but with the modern coatings I've not seen it. Call me lucky.

On my last car coated with CQUK3 i would get water spot from rain where it looked like the dust collected and when dried would leave rain spot shaped dirt spots (water spots?). They would rinse right off.

Etched water spots i would get only from tap water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertnate
08-30-2021, 08:09 AM
I've seen similar things with both sealants and coatings. When there is a light, fresh, dusting of a material which is still sitting on the surface and hasn't started to cling to the surface. Like someone else mentioned, it is pretty common during the heavy pollen seasons in the spring.

On my last car coated with CQUK3 i would get water spot from rain where it looked like the dust collected and when dried would leave rain spot shaped dirt spots (water spots?). They would rinse right off.

Etched water spots i would get only from tap water.

Agree.

When I used sealants, the big fat water beads they create would leave a dusty car looking like a spotted cow due to how those beads collected the dried material on the surface. On the occasions it "rains mud" around here due to dust in the air it's REALLY bad with a sealant.

With all the coatings I've used the beading/sheeting action of those products makes any post-rain water spotting much less or almost non-existent. The one real exception is when the vehicle gets covered in a heavy layer of sticky pollen. Unless it's a torrential down pour, you'll get some funny yellow spots as the water dries.

There is no way to stop this no matter what LSP you use. Water beading will collect dust and pollen from the surface and the air. This will cause water spots when the water dries. I've never seen water spotting from rain/dew/sleet/snow/ice on a dirty vehicle cause any etching. You just have to wash it off. I have found the spots are far easier to remove if the car is coated than a sealant; especially if it has sat for a couple days.

Municipal water from sprinklers is the devil. That stuff will etch through a sealant pretty quickly. On a coating like CQuartz, I've found it makes the water spots much more stubborn to remove, but not impossible without mechanical polishing.