PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinions before I get my wheels refinished

Pages : [1] 2

Matt S.
04-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, the wheels on my Z06 seem to have brake dust baked INTO the clearcoat.

This is only a problem on the front wheels. I have tried Klasse AIO (usually takes care of any embedded brake dust) and clay. Neither worked. The previous owner must have used some pretty nasty wheel cleaner, since the paint on the centercaps is also worn through.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas/suggestions on products to try before I dismount my tires and take the wheels to get powdercoated. The finish is most likely done, but hey, maybe there's some secret product/process I don't know about so it's worth asking. :cheers:

Jimmie
04-15-2008, 11:00 AM
+1 for powder coating. If you wanted something on a budget the 1Z German silver wheel paint is good. Top that with the Wurth clear gloss. I used those on some Audi wheels and surprised myself how good they turned-out. Two cans of each is more than enough to do all of your wheels ; multiple coats.

Matt S.
04-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Jimmie. I can't find pics of that one silver Z06 that had the lighter silver wheels, but anyways I think I want to stick with the factory gunmetal color.

Matt S.
04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh and if I am getting them powdercoated...I suppose I COULD try the Wurth beforehand and see how it turns out anyways, and maybe do a little write-up for those who may be interested. :cheers:

chefwong
04-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Matt -

I had a semi-frozen caliper while I was on a road trip . So it had some decent miles before I got home.

I tried similar means like you mentioned. I ended up doing a full decontamination was followed by heavy clay...and then I polished them back up due to the heavy clay.

Alot of f'en work.....but that did the trick for me.

Matt S.
04-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Hmm...now you've got me thinking. I will have to look into that before going through all the trouble of getting them powdercoated!

TOGWT
04-15-2008, 11:51 AM
+1 for Clay & 'B' of the Autoint ABC decontamination system

Paint Decontamination - http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f39/fk-paint-decontamination-kit-whos-used-304.html (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f39/fk-paint-decontamination-kit-whos-used-304.html)

NSXTASY
04-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Hmm...now you've got me thinking. I will have to look into that before going through all the trouble of getting them powdercoated!

Try either PB Spray and Rinse or/and Megs Wheel Brightener. Some seriously toxic and aggressive stuff, but for the worst of the worst wheels, does an excellent job. Let Dwell, agitate, spray off with high pressure. Reapply if necessary.

ScottB
04-15-2008, 06:29 PM
look for a company, believe they are called Panther, which machines the Z06 wheels. Not high polished or chrome, but dang they stand out over the traditional painted and bright wheels.

Themightytimmah
04-16-2008, 03:38 AM
An acid-based wheel cleaner should burn the dust out of the clear without harming the clearcoat (dissolves metals but not paint). Meg's WB 1:1 has done it for me on several wheels that I felt were beyond repair before, including a BMW that hadn't had it's wheels cleaned in a year and a half.

RTexasF
04-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Duragloss #501.

Matt S.
04-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll update this thread when I have time to clean the car...hopefully tomorrow night!

Scott - I would love to have my wheels refinished by Panther, but with shipping costs it will run about $900 and I will be without my wheels for about a month. Way too much hassle. :(
They do some of the nicest work I've seen, though...that's for sure.

Matt S.
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Duragloss #501.

Marine & RV Polish? :confused:

wytstang
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I've read from a few folks here that #501 really deep cleans painted surfaces. Probably better then KAIO since boats and the like encounter more crap.

Al-53
04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Duragloss #501.

yes...it does deep clean..on another forum ..a woman had some real bad wheels..she clayed...Klasse AIO...wheel cleaner...I told her to use DG 501 and a fingernail brush...she PM'd me back and called me a hero...the stuff really cleans...best paint cleaner I have used and the kicker is it protects also...

not saying it will work for you..but when Max is not looking grab a bottle and try it...can't hurt to try it...LOL....

AL