PDA

View Full Version : Putting a drain in an existing garage floor?

briarpatch
08-20-2021, 09:26 PM
Has anyone tried to put a drain in an existing garage floor? I've got plans to run both hot and cold water lines into my garage, and I'd like to be able to wash cars inside in cold weather. I was not smart enough to have it done when we built the house, so I'm looking to see if anyone has done it after the fact

vobro
08-20-2021, 09:38 PM
Yes I have, full length floor drain which I saw cut the concrete then tied it in to my house drain which luckily for me ran right near the garage.

Bruno Soares
08-21-2021, 06:42 AM
Has anyone tried to put a drain in an existing garage floor? I've got plans to run both hot and cold water lines into my garage, and I'd like to be able to wash cars inside in cold weather. I was not smart enough to have it done when we built the house, so I'm looking to see if anyone has done it after the fact
Check your local building code first to see if it’s legal in your area. Not all locations allow a drain in the garage.
If allowed I don’t think it will be cheap as you need to cut the concrete all the way to the nearest spot where you have an existing drain.

Misterpaul
08-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Check your local building code first to see if it’s legal in your area. Not all locations allow a drain in the garage.
If allowed I don’t think it will be cheap as you need to cut the concrete all the way to the nearest spot where you have an existing drain.
^ This. ^ When we built our home I discovered we could not hook up a floor drain going out into the yard or into the sewer system.

Bill D
08-21-2021, 07:43 AM
If allowed I don’t think it will be cheap as you need to cut the concrete all the way to the nearest spot where you have an existing drain.My town wouldn't allow it so I have to resort to squeegeeing the soap out.

briarpatch
08-21-2021, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the replies....will check out local codes and see. Maybe just have to purchase a water containment mat....or two

vobro
08-21-2021, 12:05 PM
Sorry gus I forgot to add in my town I needed a gas and oil interceptor