PDA

View Full Version : How to remove adhesives?

gr82bhum
03-16-2006, 10:27 PM
I am getting my new car tomorrow and instructed the dealer not to touch the car at all because I will detail the beauty myself. Question is what is the safest and best way to remove the sticky adhesive film left behind after taking off the protective plastic coverings? Is things like "dissolve it" safe?

ScottB
03-16-2006, 10:35 PM
I am getting my new car tomorrow and instructed the dealer not to touch the car at all because I will detail the beauty myself. Question is what is the safest and best way to remove the sticky adhesive film left behind after taking off the protective plastic coverings? Is things like "dissolve it" safe?

I have done exactly the same thing with my last two Vettes, the dealer is instructed to NOT touch the car in any way other than the centercaps on the wheels being installed. The modern stuff really leaves no residue, and will likely need nothing more than a cleaning as usual. I would hesitate to use most of these adhesive removers in the car, as they can likely cause a color change or damage to certain parts. Soap and water as necessary, and maybe a little APC "if" needed. You didnt say, whatcha getting ??????

gr82bhum
03-16-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm getting my first Porsche 911 Cab. What is "ACP"?

98bmw323is
03-16-2006, 11:27 PM
APC - all purpose cleaner
and porsche . . . lucky

PEI Detail
03-17-2006, 08:28 PM
3M Adhesive Remover works, but don't "rub" with anything if you can help it.