PDA

View Full Version : Small trim dressing comparison

RippyD
08-19-2021, 01:55 AM
I don't plan to do another set of dressings. But I had several to try. I've been meaning to try them on various trim parts around the Rover, but it was looking so bad that I covered everything with Solution Finish and will likely top it with 303 Trim Protectant.

I thought it might be interesting to see how these products did at restoration. I had only one small are left to try: the license place light fixture on the tailgate. Each product was limited to ~2" of space.

The products were applied in the same order shown in the lineup.

Here's how it looked before the products were applied:

Here's how it looked after:

A few days later it still looks about the same. The Gyeon Preserve and Adams In and Out look the best to me in person. They aren't the darkest, but they do darken well and have a nice matt finish. Duragloss 271, Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, Blackfire All in One Trim Sealant, and Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray all also look good. DG 271 and the Wolfgang product look like very similar products. I have used them both a lot and if I recall they have about the same longevity. The sprays and ackward to use. I don't really understand the intent of DG Ultimate Detail Spray.

Sonax Plastic Care and 303 Trim Restorer and Protectant doesn't darken at all. The 303 product seems to protect well, which is why I plan to apply it over my other plastic trim that has been darkened with Solution Finish. I may try the Sonax product as well.

DG 271 and WG Sealant have been my go-to trim restorers for a while. They work well but don't last long. Maybe 2 months if I recall? Will have to see.

I didn't include Solution Finish because it seems to be more of a dye than sealant or a dressing.

PaulMys
08-19-2021, 05:42 PM
Nice.

Subscribed.......

Bobby B.
08-20-2021, 01:53 PM
The Solution Finish will help restore the plastic trim to the original black finish. I like to use the Blackfire Tire & Trim Sealant for protecting my plastic trim. Great product!

BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant, plastic trim restorer, tire coating, long lasting tire shine (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-trim-sealant-trim-restorer.html)

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, black plastic restorer, trim restorer (https://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer-12oz.html)

RippyD
08-25-2021, 10:35 PM
Picture from earlier today. These were all washed over the weekend with Carpro Reset.

Gyeon looks good
Sonax seems to have darkened with time and looks almost identical to Gyeon now
DG 271 is somewhat faded
Wolfgang looks ok, but not as good as Gyeon or Sonax
303 looks the worst of all these - it seems to be more of a coating than a dressing
Blackfire is doing well and has about the same darkness as Gyeon and Sonax, and is less shiny, which I prefer
Adams In and Out is toward the bottom with DG 271
DG 275 looks the best of all these - I never would have guessed this

Right now if I had to rank these in terms of restoring the color to trim, it would be:
1. DG 275
2-4. Gyeon Preserve, Sonax Plastic Care, Blackfire All-In-One Trim Protectant are too close to call for #2
5. Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant
6-7. DG 271 and Adams In & Out are too close to call
8. 303 Trim Restorer and Protectant

I'm not surprised to see 303 at the bottom. I was aware that it didn't darken trim much. I am shocked to see DG 275 at the top and DG 271 near the bottom. I would have bet that DG 271 would be near the top.