PDA

View Full Version : Megs M799 - Bead Booster

CleanIT
08-18-2021, 06:40 AM
Meguiar's M799 PRO Hybrid Ceramic Bead Booster [DEEP DIVE] - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2EuX37JtHk)

I thought this was interesting. They developed this as a topper for coatings (or stand alone) that would only equal or surpass the beading of the basecoat. He mentioned how toppers can impact performance. It makes sense now why the HCD (diluted Bead Booster) produces some crazy initial hydrophobics. He also said that it is compatible with the m27 sealant and all other Hybrid Ceramic products. They are all compatible as one would expect. .

I've been using HCD and have been extremely impressed, mainly bc of the crazy initial hydrophobics coming from a detailer. So I ordered the full strength BB to try. HCD is a gem.

This is just HCD:

HCD Beading - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXeQ_CMEGg0)

Megs HCD Beading - 2 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW8PPWhzmpI)

Eldorado2k
08-18-2021, 07:00 AM
Beading is nice, and looks nice too… But I’ve seen products that bead yet somehow fail to provide the same level of protection against bonded contaminants, and if a lsp can have impressive beading but fail to live up where it truly matters then I personally don’t want anything to do with it.

I’m not saying that’s the case with the products mentioned in this post, I’m just saying beading doesn’t necessarily mean much of anything unless it’s actually protecting… I’d be more interested in the latter vs. the visual thrills aka beading.

Long term real world testing on a daily driven vehicle. If that protection can go 9-12 months and not only pass a baggie test but also pass an actual claybar showing absolutely no contaminants on the bar after a full year at least, then the beading is actually valid. [in my book at least]

CleanIT
08-18-2021, 07:03 AM
Good points, that is very true. I can't speak to that yet. I have a friend that is using M799 on top of their sealant m27. I'm curious how it is holding up. I have no experience with coatings and have tried very few products compared to most people on this forum. I will say though that HCD is amazing for what it is. I'm using it as my sole protection right now.

I'm going to use HCD/Bead Booster on top of m27 or Jescar Ultra Lock Plus come winter. HCD wasn't even on my radar until a friend mentioned it. Much to my surprise the hydrophobics were incredible. Even better than the latest version of Wet Coat.

fly07sti
08-18-2021, 07:06 AM
It is a great product. It also has a self leveling aspect to it. So if you see some minor streaking, come back in 15-20 minutes and it is usually gone.

Eldorado2k
08-18-2021, 07:23 AM
Just to clarify, the 9-12 months doesn’t necessarily mean on the sole initial application. I’m not unrealistic like that… I personally couldn’t care less how many coats/re applications of the same product one chooses to do because it’s ultimately their time, effort, and money that goes into it. The only thing that matters in the long run is whether that form of protection can withstand without letting up and allowing contaminants to bond to the paint. The point where that happens is where I consider any lsp to have failed because all 1 is doing is sealing in contaminants if they were to apply any more layers or toppers from that point forward, which is not the right thing to do.

That’s the beauty of an abundance of different products available today. They’re made to fit the different needs and preferences of their target audience. There’s everything from long term coatings, to spray sealants that ideally work best when applied after every wash, but as long as they’re used as directed and of course a solid product they can all work great.

CleanIT
08-18-2021, 07:27 AM
Great points. :xyxthumbs:

DUBL0WS6
08-18-2021, 10:29 PM
I've been impressed with Wolfgang SCC in regards to protecting against bird bombs. I think that is the ultimate test of a product.

RevGTO
08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
I've been impressed with Wolfgang SCC in regards to protecting against bird bombs. I think that is the ultimate test of a product.Good point. Some of them are incredibly caustic. I have had paint permanently by them on a few occasions.

Coatingsarecrack
08-19-2021, 12:52 AM
I’ve read it spots. Beads well but beads don’t evacuate. Let us know how you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CleanIT
08-19-2021, 06:04 AM
I’ve read it spots. Beads well but beads don’t evacuate. Let us know how you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far what I've noticed is top notch beading. When driving the beads sheet off the paint quickly. I'll keep an eye out for that. I noticed spots on the side the other day, but I'm 90% sure it is due to the sprinkler system.