PDA

View Full Version : Need tips/ideas for applying tire shine to spare

Pages : [1] 2

Manhattan
08-06-2021, 03:27 PM
There are a couple things about the spare tire on my Toyota Pickup that make it a bit of a hassle to apply tire dressing to.
- The location - sunk into the bed and surrounded by sheet metal and glass - tricky to spray
- The tread - the sorta chunky AT - makes it hard to wipe on

This isn't that unlike a tailgate/bumper-mounted spare... so I'm assuming there's technique and/or applicator that works great here.

Thanks!

Rsurfer
08-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Is it too hard to remove and lay on the bed?

Manhattan
08-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Sorta... not really... a little. The spare is bolted to a plate that has the "female" end of a tube that slides over the "male" end of the mount. There's a bolt through those two to secure things. Options: remove hubcap and unbolt... or remove the mount with the spare... So, less of hassle than pulling a wheel off the truck but more of a hassle than just spraying. But, it may be the cleanest method.

The Guz
08-06-2021, 03:55 PM
How about a tire coating so you don’t have to apply a tire dressing so often.

UncleDavy
08-06-2021, 04:03 PM
Try a flag tipped brush or an old paint brush. That will help you get the product into the tread.

PaulMys
08-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Looks to me like you'd have to remove the tire in order to be able to apply the dressing to the entire surface anyway.

So.......... There you have it. :)

FUNX650
08-06-2021, 05:28 PM
There are a couple things about the
spare tire on my Toyota Pickup that
make it a bit of a hassle to apply tire
dressing to.
- The location - sunk into the bed and
surrounded by sheet metal and glass -
tricky to spray
- The tread - the sorta chunky AT -
makes it hard to wipe on

-The location:
•Unless you remove the spare from its
mounting, you’ll have to live with just
dressing whatever is reachable, IMO.

-The tread:
•Because of the likelihood of adverse
consequences occurring whenever
“dressed” tire treads initially hit the
pavement…

-I personally do not ever apply tire
dressings to any tires’ treads. Never!
-I hope you decide to follow suit.

Bob

jlindyman
08-06-2021, 05:31 PM
Cool truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
08-06-2021, 05:33 PM
-The location:
•Unless you remove the spare from its
mounting, you’ll have to live with just
dressing whatever is reachable, IMO.

-The tread:
•Because of the likelihood of adverse
consequences occurring whenever
“dressed” tire treads initially hit the
pavement…

-I personally do not ever apply tire
dressings to any tires’ treads. Never!
-I hope you decide to follow suit.

Bob

I just assumed he meant "sidewall", but let us hope that is the case as you are correct in your reply, Bob.

Eldorado2k
08-07-2021, 09:28 AM
I just assumed he meant "sidewall", but let us hope that is the case as you are correct in your reply, Bob.

Of course he was talking about the sidewall.. Bob’s just being Bob.[emoji57]

As far as dressing the tire, remove it, clean it with a tire cleaner or whatever degreaser you use, then dress it with your choice of tire product.

The good thing is that whatever dressing you use it’s going to last for a very long time because unlike the other 4 tires this 1 never sees the road and therefore lives a pampered life aka the tire dressing’s going to last months.[emoji4]

Rsurfer
08-07-2021, 12:20 PM
Of course he was talking about the sidewall.. Bob’s just being Bob.[emoji57]

As far as dressing the tire, remove it, clean it with a tire cleaner or whatever degreaser you use, then dress it with your choice of tire product.

The good thing is that whatever dressing you use it’s going to last for a very long time because unlike the other 4 tires this 1 never sees the road and therefore lives a pampered life aka the tire dressing’s going to last months.[emoji4]
I believe that's why he wants to dress the threads to make it look clean. After all its a spare and by the time he needs it the dressing will be gone.

Eldorado2k
08-07-2021, 01:15 PM
I believe that's why he wants to dress the threads to make it look clean. After all its a spare and by the time he needs it the dressing will be gone.

I’m willing to bet he means the nobby sidewall and not the actual tread.

The only people who dress the tread are people who tow their garage queens to car shows. Lol

My spare tire’s coated, but even I never considered dressing the tread. It doesn’t get much more dangerous than that.. Well except on a motorcycle.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210807/bc1ac37f3ae59986d5f453f521a8eb35.jpg

Rsurfer
08-07-2021, 01:30 PM
I’m willing to bet he means the nobby sidewall and not the actual tread.

The only people who dress the tread are people who tow their garage queens to car shows. Lol

My spare tire’s coated, but even I never considered dressing the tread. It doesn’t get much more dangerous than that.. Well except on a motorcycle.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210807/bc1ac37f3ae59986d5f453f521a8eb35.jpg

Looks good, but yours is out of sight. Maybe he should consider a tire cover.

FUNX650
08-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Maybe he should consider a tire cover.

^^^ :iagree:

Bob

Eldorado2k
08-07-2021, 02:49 PM
Can’t cover that tire.. It would defeat the whole purpose of looking unique & cool on that truck. I’ve never seen a truck like that.