PDA

View Full Version : Test Spot - Meguiar's D166 - '69 Pontiac GTO

2black1s
08-06-2021, 01:44 PM
My neighbor a few doors down picked up a '69 GTO a week or so ago. Being a Pontiac guy, I had to go over to talk and check out his new ride. Upon a closer look the car is pretty rough... Beneath the horrendous swirls and marring, the body work and paint is mediocre at best so anything even resembling perfection is out of the question.

Nonetheless, I asked if he wanted to see what a little polishing could do and he said "sure".

This morning we did a couple test spots and he was blown away with the results. He now wants me to do the entire car. He has some mechanical work to do and I suggested waiting until he finishes up with the mechanicals and then I'd tackle the polishing.

So here's what we did today:
I hit one section on the hood and another on the LF fender using...
- Rupes Mille
- Rupes D-A fine polishing pad (yellow)
- Meguiar's D166 Ultra Polishing Wax

I really wasn't expecting that combo to do the trick but used it as my starting point, fully expecting that I'd need to get more aggressive, but I was pleasantly surprised. The process is now in-place to finish the car at a future date.

Here's a few pics...

Before

After (front left)

Before to the L, After to the R

Before to the L, After to the R

Klasse Act
08-06-2021, 01:47 PM
Wow...period correct wheels too[emoji118]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

JDGolden
08-06-2021, 02:30 PM
Superb results. Looks like a winning combo to me. I am a sucker for purple...

I figured you'd be in here, and I noticed the same thing!

PaulMys
08-06-2021, 05:18 PM
That looks a thousand times better, John.

Sweet ride, and great work!! :props:

Klasse Act
08-06-2021, 05:20 PM
How did the car ever get to THAT point...holy F[emoji15]

2black1s
08-06-2021, 06:08 PM
Not for long... He's got a set of 18" rears and 17" fronts going on it it soon. At least they are a 5-spoke design (similar to Cragar SSs) so they should look ok.

How did the car ever get to THAT point...holy F[emoji15]
Don't ask me... It is marred and swirled as bad as anything I have ever seen.

I think the paint is on the soft side, as I was able to easily correct it with a AIO, and that certainly contributes.

Klasse Act
08-06-2021, 06:10 PM
Not for long... He's got a set of 18" rears and 17" fronts going on it it soon. At least they are a 5-spoke design (similar to Cragar SSs) so they should look ok.

Don't ask me... It is marred and swirled as bad as anything I have ever seen.

I think the paint is on the soft side, as I was able to easily correct it with a AIO, and that certainly contributes.Please tell me the car will be getting an altitude adjustment to compensate for that tire wheel combo[emoji848]

Celabe
08-07-2021, 12:15 PM
Nice results D 166 is good product with right pad combo, I did 01 black 911 Carrera and it cleared most of the swirls and scratches used orange cutting pad , with pretty good results, When that car is done, it’s going to Rain Purple !![emoji1417][emoji91][emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Kamakaz1961
08-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Megs D166 is a fantastic AIO. Beautiful car and excellent fix! KEEP ON ROCKING!