PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coated now would like to add more depth

Pages : [1] 2

jth877
08-04-2021, 10:03 AM
I just coated my car with the wolfgang uber ceramic coating spray. I put on two layers. It made the car look somewhat sterile. Very clear and glassy which I expected.

Now I would like to added some depth and warmth back into it. Is there a compatible topper that will do this? Everything I read so far has most people violently protesting against putting a wax or hybrid wax on top of the coating. I have some BF midnight sun or purple haze at my disposal.

Klasse Act
08-04-2021, 10:34 AM
Gyeon Wax

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

PA DETAILER
08-04-2021, 11:47 AM
IDK. I would stick with WG and use this...

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Detail Spray (https://www.autogeek.net/wg-profi-detail-spray.html)

Wolfgang PROFI Ceramic Booster (https://www.autogeek.net/wg-profi-ceramic-booster.html)

FUNX650
08-04-2021, 11:48 AM
I just coated my car with the wolfgang uber
ceramic coating spray. I put on two layers.
It made the car look somewhat sterile. Very
clear and glassy which I expected.

Now I would like to added some depth and
warmth back into it. Is there a compatible
topper that will do this?

Everything I read so far has most people
violently protesting against putting a wax
or hybrid wax on top of the coating.

I have some BF midnight sun or
purple haze at my disposal.

•Wolfgang has several compatible toppers;
but, unfortunately, no Waxes so designated
as being compatible with their Uber Ceramic
Spray Coating.

-On the other hand:
One recently available Wax to be designated
as being compatible with Ceramic Coatings is
McKee’s 37 Krystal Diamond SiO2 Ceramic Wax.

•Introspectively speaking: I’m no violent
protester (ie: “mostly peaceful”); so here
is an idea:

-Since the Uber Coating will be on the
vehicle for awhile…mark off 3 (three)
separate “Test Spots” to apply the BF
Midnight Sun; the Purple Haze; and the
aforementioned McMee’s 37 KD-SiO2.

-Observe and take note of which one meets,
or even exceeds, your aesthetic expectations
(as well as their water behaviors) over a
brief, but fair, period of time.

•IMO:
-This way you’ll find out first-hand whether
the Wax-over-Coatings naysayers know what
they’re talking about, or not.

Bob

Klasse Act
08-04-2021, 11:55 AM
The Gyeon Wax is made to work WITH coated cars, it's an awesome product [emoji41]

2black1s
08-04-2021, 12:00 PM
I'm not a coating guy, never used one, so I'm certainly no expert.

From all that I have read relative to your question the primary reason for not topping a coating with a wax is that you will lose all of the primary surface benefits of the coating and take on those of the wax. If that's the case, then what was the point of the coating in the first place? Might as well have just used the wax instead.

While that certainly makes sense to me, it also makes sense to me that the coating will be providing some long-term protection even if it is topped with a wax.

So I say if you want the warmth and depth provided by the wax, and are less concerned with the water behavior and self-cleaning abilities of the coating, then by all means go ahead and top it with a wax. Then again, if you're going to be periodically topping the coating with a wax to keep up the warmth and depth, was the coating application worth it? Personally. I'd skip the coating and use the wax as often as desired.

PA DETAILER
08-04-2021, 12:10 PM
Yea. If you want to top it with a wax, Gyeon would be the way to go. Safe for ceramic coated vehicles.

GYEON Q2 Wax (https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-q2-wax.html)

98CayenneTA
08-04-2021, 03:11 PM
Carpro SiC and Ethos Graphene will give you the look you're looking for. And they are a true coating.

Loach
08-04-2021, 03:20 PM
I would first experiment with spray toppers to try and achieve the look you're going for, instead of moving towards much heavier paste waxes. I would also treat Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating as a paint sealer, rather than a ceramic coating.

Taking Wolfgang Profi Ceramic Coating as an example, I would expect this to shed the wax topper off over time and return to some of its pre-topped performance traits because it's much thicker, and as a true coating this has a much stronger bond to the paint. Uber Ceramic Spray Coating by comparison is thinner by a longshot, it doesn't have anywhere near the same staying power and by topping it with a heavy wax, not only do you lose its performance traits immediately, but you're not likely to have anywhere near the same rebound effect over time, if at all.

A lighter spray topper should be a safer alternative to keep the Uber Spray Coating in better shape over time. Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer could be a good option.

Klasse Act
08-04-2021, 03:32 PM
I would first experiment with spray toppers to try and achieve the look you're going for, instead of moving towards much heavier paste waxes. I would also treat Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating as a paint sealer, rather than a ceramic coating.

Taking Wolfgang Profi Ceramic Coating as an example, I would expect this to shed the wax topper off over time and return to some of its pre-topped performance traits because it's much thicker, and as a true coating this has a much stronger bond to the paint. Uber Ceramic Spray Coating by comparison is thinner by a longshot, it doesn't have anywhere near the same staying power and by topping it with a heavy wax, not only do you lose its performance traits immediately, but you're not likely to have anywhere near the same rebound effect over time, if at all.

A lighter spray topper should be a safer alternative to keep the Uber Spray Coating in better shape over time. Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer could be a good option.Love you channel[emoji931][emoji931]

Bobby B.
08-04-2021, 03:46 PM
Gyeon Q2 Wax can be used as a topper for ceramic coatings. GYEON Q2 Wax (https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-q2-wax.html)

jth877
08-04-2021, 09:31 PM
AFAIK, the wolfgang uber ceramic spray is a real coating just thinner. My car is more of a sunny day summer only deal. It absolutely will not see any NY winter. I figure a strong ceramic base then a yearly beauty wax will work just fine until my next polish which is an every 3-4 year event . I will look into the gyeon wax. Maybe I'll pick it up on the next sale. Thanks.

The Guz
08-04-2021, 09:57 PM

A lighter spray topper should be a safer alternative to keep the Uber Spray Coating in better shape over time. Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer could be a good option.

Very well said.

Uber spray coating won’t hold a candle to a true coating or even a coating lite as mentioned.

Spray coatings like uber fall into the silica spray sealant range rather than a coating.

Jayfro
08-05-2021, 03:35 PM
I have some BF midnight sun or purple haze at my disposal.[/QUOTE]

I would tape off your hood in half, use Purple Haze on one side and Midnight Sun on the other and judge for yourself, think they'll be very close.

I've used DoDo Blue Velvet on my Black Acura and loved it. I'll actually be stripping everything off in the next week or two...or three and apply DoDo Black Widow to my car and may layer it with Blue Velvet Pro which is their synthetic version of Blue Velvet....Purple Haze is the same as Blue Velvet but one is a hard wax and the other is a soft wax. When I only had Blue Velvet on the car (first layer is 303 Graphene), it looked absolutely spec-freakin-tacular!!!

Jay

Rsurfer
08-05-2021, 03:43 PM
FUNX650;1723712
Observe and take note of which one meets,
or even exceeds, your aesthetic expectation
Bob[/QUOTE]

Doubt if you will see any difference between what the OP mentioned initially.