PDA

View Full Version : Why wheel cleaner causes brake disc rust?

Pages : [1] 2

locarno
08-02-2021, 12:26 PM
Why wheel cleaner causes brake disc rust? We're talking about bloody wheel cleaner. How to find wheel cleaners that don't cause rust ?

supercharged75
08-02-2021, 12:57 PM
It's probably from the water after rinsing the cleaner off causing rust. There is a product that will stop this but I can't recall the name right now. But I don't think the issue is the wheel cleaner itself.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

glen e
08-02-2021, 01:12 PM
Never had a wheel cleaner cause rust. Any rust or on the disc rotor itself is usually gone after I drive it. if you really want to make sure you don’t get any rust user leaf blower to dry the whole assembly after you clean it

Klasse Act
08-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Get some Brake Buster [emoji362][emoji106][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Desertnate
08-02-2021, 01:37 PM
What part of the brake rotor are you talking about. The hats, the outside edges of the rotors, or the faces of the rotors where the pads make contact. Any form of moisture will cause certain areas to rust.

Depending on the brand of the rotor, most will rust along the edges and the hats simply because they are untreated steel and you have to live with it. The rotor faces will rust quite quickly when they get wet, but it will go away the first time you drive the car and use the brakes to stop or gradually slow down.

Most of the time rust on the hats and edges of the rotors is unsightly, but harmless. Fortunately I've seen a few aftermarket brands these days offer rotors with edges/hats which are painted/treated with some material to prevent them from rusting. That's the route I'm going whenever my current set of rotors wear out.

Azure
08-02-2021, 01:38 PM
It's probably from the water after rinsing the cleaner off causing rust. There is a product that will stop this but I can't recall the name right now. But I don't think the issue is the wheel cleaner itself.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hydes Serum

Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (https://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

Eldorado2k
08-02-2021, 01:56 PM
Get some Brake Buster [emoji362][emoji106][emoji6]

Does it actually prevent it from happening?

Someone should demonstrate/compare it vs. a typical wheel cleaner. You’d figure the manufacture would’ve shown it instead of just claim it. I know if my product could do that you’d never see the end of it.[emoji23]lol.

….Just imagine… “El Cheapo Wheel Cleaner” with brake preserver. Never have ugly brakes again!

Klasse Act
08-02-2021, 02:04 PM
Does it actually prevent it from happening?

Someone should demonstrate/compare it vs. a typical wheel cleaner. You’d figure the manufacture would’ve shown it instead of just claim it. I know if my product could do that you’d never see the end of it.[emoji23]lol.

….Just imagine… “El Cheapo Wheel Cleaner” with brake preserver. Never have ugly brakes again!It reduces it consuderably[emoji6]

Bobby B.
08-02-2021, 02:07 PM
Moisture will cause surface rust on your brake rotors. Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper works great, but it's been on a manufacturer backorder for months.

Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (https://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

Desertnate
08-02-2021, 02:27 PM
I'll just drive my car! :D

In all seriousness, typically just pulling my car into the garage after a good wash and lightly riding the brakes will clean the rotor faces of any surface rust. I had no idea a product like this existed. If you do apply this product in the driveway and then pull the vehicle into the garage, I wonder how much of the product will remain on the rotors?

Klasse Act
08-02-2021, 02:29 PM
I'll just drive my car! :D

In all seriousness, typically just pulling my car into the garage after a good wash and lightly riding the brakes will clean the rotor faces of any surface rust. I had no idea a product like this existed. If you do apply this product in the driveway and then pull the vehicle into the garage, I wonder how much of the product will remain on the rotors.Well, when your low on wheel cleaner give P&S Brake Buster a try, can't hurt because it's inexpensive[emoji106][emoji106]

ducksfan
08-02-2021, 04:30 PM
They sell a product at automotive paint supply houses that gives short term protection against rust. I don't have any anymore and don't remember the name. It was for prepped metal that you weren't going to paint for a day or two. But, it lasted longer than a day or two.

Most good rust removers do the same thing. But, would be expensive for this type of usage.

locarno
08-03-2021, 01:40 AM
I'm using K2 Roton Pro. It gives bleeding effect.

I heard that this type of cleaners are not good idea for using every week. I also heard that this should be used few times in a year only for very dirty wheels. For daily washing I should get less aggresive cleaner. Rust from rotors will be gone after drving but what about brake caliper, wheel nuts, wheel hub and other parts?

I think I will try with Brake Buster.

locarno
08-03-2021, 01:46 AM
So my final question is Does aggressive wheel cleaner causes rust in the same level as normal water? I think wheel cleaner causes rust much faster but I need to test that on some parts.

Desertnate
08-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Rust from rotors will be gone after drving but what about brake caliper, wheel nuts, wheel hub and other parts?

Are those parts actually rusting? All of the cars I've owned for quite a while had aluminum or some form of alloy brake calipers. The unpainted ones would get brake dust embedded in them, but they wouldn't rust. Lug nuts and studs tend to be a non-rusting metal and sometimes painted/coated too because you don't want them to rust on the wheel and not be able to get them off.

I have had rust form on my hubs which made getting the wheels off difficult when I rotated my summer/winter wheels. The solution I found there was to take a wire brush to the hubs and brush off most of the surface rust. Once that was complete, I use a small dab of dialectic grease around the surface of the hub where the wheel touches. I also put a very thin layer on the wheel where it touches the hub. This keeps those areas from rusting together or the types of metals from bonding together. It doesn't prevent other areas of the hubs from rusting, but I does keep it from making the wheels hard to remove.

Exposed steel parts will rust in contact with moisture. Unfortunately there is no real way to keep it from happening unless the car never gets wet.