PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Job, how do I handle it?

Cevan
04-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi all,

Due to some untimely incidents this winter my rear quarter panels, trunk and bumper got a fresh coat of paint (End of January). Mid Feb my car was into the dealership for some warranty work where my car was given a wash on the house. Fortunately the wash boys used something to dry my paint that left some nice looking spider webing type scratches in the new paint.

My question is, I have a package coming from autogeek with some products from poorboy to get some detailing done with my PC. Should I try and handle this with my buffer, or will the paint be too fresh for me to touch with the buffer for now? Should I go at it by hand? Should I even touch the SSR 2.5 or SSR 1 to my paint job? Should I stick to sealent and wax for now?

Just need a little direction.

Rsurfer
04-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi all,

Due to some untimely incidents this winter my rear quarter panels, trunk and bumper got a fresh coat of paint (End of January). Mid Feb my car was into the dealership for some warranty work where my car was given a wash on the house. Fortunately the wash boys used something to dry my paint that left some nice looking spider webing type scratches in the new paint.

My question is, I have a package coming from autogeek with some products from poorboy to get some detailing done with my PC. Should I try and handle this with my buffer, or will the paint be too fresh for me to touch with the buffer for now? Should I go at it by hand? Should I even touch the SSR 2.5 or SSR 1 to my paint job? Should I stick to sealent and wax for now?

Just need a little direction.
I would give it a full 3 mos which isn't too far away. You could put a layer of wax to protect the paint right now and then use a light polish to get rid of the webing and scratches at the end of this month.

budman3
04-14-2008, 07:50 PM
When you feel comfortable (90 days is a good number) you can do your regular details on fresh paint. Every painter will give you a different amount of time ... Also, try SSR1 with a polishing pad first, the paint will still be relatively soft still and probably won't require much more.

Rsurfer
04-14-2008, 08:18 PM
When you feel comfortable (90 days is a good number) you can do your regular details on fresh paint. Every painter will give you a different amount of time ... Also, try SSR1 with a polishing pad first, the paint will still be relatively soft still and probably won't require much more.
Good advise. I had my rear bumper and driver's door repainted about a year ago and the body shop said I could polish and wax right away because it was heat baked. Well not knowing about out gassing at the time I did polish with Poorboy's with sealant and then topped with SSII. To date I have polished that area twice with 106 and 85MC with no problems.

julian
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM
you can wet sand, compound and polish most any clear coats these days - one day later.
but do not wax or seal for a min 30 days, some paints maybe longer..

The Skillmaster
04-15-2008, 02:58 AM
The paint needs to breath for 90 days which means no wax or sealant. The paint should be cleaned regularly however.

Cevan
04-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!

So plan is going to be a light SSR1 polish with a Sealant and Wax after 90 days.

Thanks again.