PDA

View Full Version : Products Streaking on Car Hood

Bode04
07-27-2021, 10:58 AM
I've had streaking on the hood of my car from several products over the past year - (The car is only a year old) - It's happened using waxes, sealants, detail sprays etc. I haven't noticed this happening anywhere else on the car, only the hood and it happens every time.

CleanIT
07-27-2021, 11:11 AM
Do you prep the paint at all? Is the paint surface cool to the touch?

Ace22
07-27-2021, 11:32 AM
I agree, heat has a lot to do with it...and maybe even too much product over other products, producing the streaking with the heat.

vettemn86
07-27-2021, 12:33 PM
Is the hood the first panel you always start on? Ive noticed when I first start any kind of protection the first panel gets the most product since thats after priming the waxpad. Also as the others have stated as well, heat is a huge factor in streaking. Try to keep the coats of whatever your using very thin. Some products hate the direct sunlight as well during application

Kamakaz1961
07-27-2021, 02:43 PM
The Hood can be finicky if not properly prepped or if it is too hot. Additionally, you might be putting on too much product. Thin to win.

KEEP ON ROCKING!

Eldorado2k
07-27-2021, 03:43 PM
It’s the polishing gods way of messing with us…

I’m convinced if we were to just turn the hood sideways like the vertical panels, every product would buff off to a perfect finish the same way it does on the doors. Lol

2black1s
07-27-2021, 06:19 PM
It’s the polishing gods way of messing with us…

I’m convinced if we were to just turn the hood sideways like the vertical panels, every product would buff off to a perfect finish the same way it does on the doors. Lol

I agree. Horizontal panels, especially the hood because it's usually the largest, the one that gets the most attention, and is at the perfect height/attitude for inspection, always show any flaw(s) more than other panels.

Eldorado2k
07-27-2021, 09:39 PM
I agree. Horizontal panels, especially the hood because it's usually the largest, the one that gets the most attention, and is at the perfect height/attitude for inspection, always show any flaw(s) more than other panels.

Could it be possible that part of the reason why is because we tend to be more careful to not apply too much pressure when wiping down a hood?

I’m sure we’ve all had those moments where you’re a bit too passionate with buffing off a product that you’ve come close to denting the hood for a split second. Maybe it’s those close calls that throws off our normal technique, leading to an imperfect wipe? I don’t know for certain, but I think most of us can relate with this whole thing with products streaking on the hood but not the doors and it’s annoying.