PDA

View Full Version : A week has gone by after I applied glaze, never got around to sealant ... now what?

mudshark73
07-26-2021, 06:16 PM
I did a wash, clay bar, and glaze on my car a week ago. I got busy and didn't get around to applying a sealant. It sits out in the sun a couple hours a day and got rained on a little last night.

Do I just wash it and apply sealant, or do I wash it, put another coat of glaze, then a sealant?

Thanks for any advice.

Keith

Rsurfer
07-26-2021, 06:30 PM
Wash with a soap that leaves nothing behind before appying another coat of glaze or sealant.

vaca22
07-26-2021, 07:19 PM
I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is glaze?

mudshark73
07-26-2021, 07:58 PM
A glaze is a shine-enhancing product that goes on after polishing but before the wax or sealant. It is made with oils and wetting agents that amplify your paint’s shine and improve the clarity.

98CayenneTA
07-26-2021, 08:02 PM
I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is glaze?

Kind of a paint moisturizer (lots of oils) for single stage paint.

On a base coat clear coat, imo it adds a tit more depth to your wax or sealant.

It also is a massive filler.

It offers zero protection when applied solo

glen e
07-26-2021, 08:18 PM
It’s primarily used for auto shows. Think of it as like a woman’s concealer make up. It hides small scratches and adds gloss. It’s worthless as an everyday Detailing product because it only lasts a week or so outside.

vettemn86
07-26-2021, 08:46 PM
Won't a glaze underneath hurt the sealant from bonding or curing? Or is that an old school myth?

DUBL0WS6
07-26-2021, 10:43 PM
Depends on the glaze, some are acrylic based to allow a sealant to stick. An oily glaze will probably compromise a sealants durability.

PaulMys
07-27-2021, 07:29 PM
It’s primarily used for auto shows. Think of it as like a woman’s concealer make up. It hides small scratches and adds gloss. It’s worthless as an everyday Detailing product because it only lasts a week or so outside.

^This^

mudshark73
07-27-2021, 08:56 PM
Wash with a soap that leaves nothing behind before appying another coat of glaze or sealant.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll do another coat of glaze since it's been a while. But I definitely like the look.