PDA

View Full Version : Is this considered "streaking"?

vaced
07-25-2021, 09:07 PM
I have included below an Autogeek video with Mike Phillips & Forrest Toise.

From 5:02-5:10 Forrest Toise is wiping off the lubricant (Mothers Instant Detailer), and after the second & third wipe you can briefly see where he wiped (after wiping).

This disappears after a second or two, so its nothing permanent.

I'm just wondering if this would be considered "streaking" & if so, what the possible reasons might be (something on that side of the towel, saturated towel, climate, etc).

https://youtu.be/qfbSQBzESDA?t=302

DUBL0WS6
07-25-2021, 10:01 PM
Sometimes it's the carrier agents that streak before they flash off. In a QD it could be something like alcohol that evaporates.

Don M
07-26-2021, 06:05 AM
Sometimes it's the carrier agents that streak before they flash off. In a QD it could be something like alcohol that evaporates.

I would say no. Streaking (IMO) is something that sticks around and you have to take an extra step to remove. If it flashes off in a few seconds or minutes, then like DUBLOWS6 said, it's just the carrier agents evaporating, and some take longer than others to flash off. Nothing to worry about.

vaced
07-26-2021, 06:33 AM

I would say no. Streaking (IMO) is something that sticks around and you have to take an extra step to remove. If it flashes off in a few seconds or minutes, then like DUBLOWS6 said, it's just the carrier agents evaporating, and some take longer than others to flash off. Nothing to worry about.

Got it. Thank you both very much. Time to look up carrier agents :D

Rsurfer
07-26-2021, 01:32 PM
Got it. Thank you both very much. Time to look up carrier agents :D

Carrier agents are chemicals that help spread the product and speed up the drying time, sometimes called "flashing".

Eldorado2k
07-26-2021, 01:42 PM
Carrier agents are chemicals that help spread the product and speed up the drying time, sometimes called "flashing".

Aren’t they also referred to as carrier oils? In regards to some sealants, they can also darken the paint, which can also sometimes leave the appearance of a streak, but there’s nothing to worry about because as mentioned anything that may appear to look like streaks goes away.

Same thing as the mythical “polishing oils”?