PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer = NO water?

djrazr
04-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a new Husky 1800 pw. I first tried it with the house outlet and the outside water supply and it worked like gold. I then went to hook it up in my truck. Everything is hooked up correctly. There is water going to the pw. I turn it on, and the blue light comes on which is high, then it drops to yellow which is medium. I squeeze the trigger and i get nothing, but a few water drops. I press the reset buttom and again, it goes blue, then to yellow. I should still get some spray with it set on medium. I am using a 3000 watt generator so there is plenty of power

So i hooked up the pw to the house outlet again, and i got the same thing as above. No water. My tank sits higher than my pw. I use pvc 2' 3/4 id, clear hose and i can see it full of water. I went to disconnect the quick connect with the pvc hose, and water was gushing out everwhere, so i assume the pw is getting water?

If i need a water pump, any recommendations? I dont have much funds and my tank is 65 gallons. I always thought gravity will work fine and there is no need for a pump

Showroom Shine
04-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know about the pump on the pressure washer. I do know that I have a Husky 2200 Pressure Washer I use for mobile detailing. I was told by a friend that I would need a pump. So ,I decided to buy a small utility pump. (waterbed Pump) I hook this to my generator dc outlet. It pumps 4.0 gpm. My pressure washer needes 2.5 gpm. So the pressure washer is never starved for water. I bought the pump at Harbor Frieght for $30. I even carry a spare just in case. I was told that some pressure washers are strong enough to pull the water from the tank. When I first tried it without the pump, it did not work. I know I need the pump.I carry 70 gal. of water, and my pressure washer is 3 feet lower than my tank. Gravity did not work! This was the only cheap way for me to continue detailing mobile. Now that I have ONR, I've made some changes. I still use the P Washer, but only on wheels, rims, wheel wells, heavy dirt,etc. Hope this gives you some help.
The pump and pressure washer to the tank is all ways hooked up. All I have to do is fire up the generator and pressure washer. Gas Motors on each!

GearHead_1
04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I have no idea but I have read a number of posts that had similar problems trying to gravity feed the pressure washer. Some have said once the line is purged it works others have indicated that they had determined that the pressure washer pump was designed to push not pull and would not work using gravity alone.

djrazr
04-14-2008, 04:53 PM
So i brought the pw inside to test it. Ran a separate hose from the garage water supply and i ran the water. Water came out fine. I then attached the hose to the pw inlet, and it's like it's clogged, because the water was squirting out the garage connection. I disconnected the quick connect and water was gushing out..hhmm