PDA

View Full Version : Detailing got me through my 14 months of work furlough....

Pages : [1] 2

psnt1ol
07-13-2021, 06:44 PM
I was furloughed for 14 months due to the pandemic. I am now back at work once again... thank god!!!

2020 was the first time in my over half a century of life that I took a hand out from the government (unemployment). To supplement the lost income, I taken on more detailing jobs. If it wasn't for this plus one other side venture.... I would have been in a world of hurt. I am so grateful for this community for keeping me up to date with all the latest and greatest.

I would not be taking on as many detailing jobs going forward since my current line of work takes me between 3 states but detailing is something I still have interests in. Knowing if all fails... detailing is something I could always fall back on comforts me. It just boggles my mind on how a hobby could actually help me make ends meet during a crisis.

Texchappy
07-13-2021, 07:12 PM
Glad you made it through and that detailing helped you through it.

2black1s
07-13-2021, 07:18 PM
Glad to hear you are back to work.

I was lucky in my working career. The only times I was ever unemployed were by my own choice and I always had side gigs to get through those times.

Having various and multiple skills sure does help.

John U
07-13-2021, 07:23 PM
You reminded my of a forgotten time back in 1985 when I was applying for a job. On one of many interviews, the owner noticed I was driving a different car. I mentioned I was detailing a car for a friend that day. He was impressed, I did get the job.

fly07sti
07-13-2021, 10:03 PM
Glad to hear it P.

psnt1ol
07-14-2021, 12:50 AM
Glad to hear you are back to work.

I was lucky in my working career. The only times I was ever unemployed were by my own choice and I always had side gigs to get through those times.

Having various and multiple skills sure does help.

You aint lying... It sure helps.

psnt1ol
07-14-2021, 12:50 AM
Glad to hear it P.

I am glad things are getting back to normal for me.

psnt1ol
07-14-2021, 12:58 AM
You reminded my of a forgotten time back in 1985 when I was applying for a job. On one of many interviews, the owner noticed I was driving a different car. I mentioned I was detailing a car for a friend that day. He was impressed, I did get the job.

LOL.... I done just that in the past. I hired someone not necessary based on his qualifications but what he told me he did on the side. I figured most detailers are "detail" oriented and he would pay attention to things that most people would overlook. I was right.

psnt1ol
07-14-2021, 01:02 AM
Glad you made it through and that detailing helped you through it.

yes it sure did... I was doing it on the side prior to covid mostly as a hobby while getting paid to buy more products. Didnt ever think it would get me through a world crisis. LOL

DFB
07-14-2021, 05:18 AM
I was sidelined at the start of the pandemic last year for about 8 or 9 weeks. It, and the following lockdowns, have come at the right time for me actually.

I'm the sort of person who needs to be doing something. My enforced leave from work allowed me to double down with my detailing, both for my own cars and a growing customer base.

The detailing kept me active, kept my mind ticking over. I loved the lockdown in the end because it gave me time to do more detailing.

psnt1ol
07-14-2021, 04:11 PM
I was sidelined at the start of the pandemic last year for about 8 or 9 weeks. It, and the following lockdowns, have come at the right time for me actually.

I'm the sort of person who needs to be doing something. My enforced leave from work allowed me to double down with my detailing, both for my own cars and a growing customer base.

The detailing kept me active, kept my mind ticking over. I loved the lockdown in the end because it gave me time to do more detailing.

I hear you.... When one door closes---another door opens.

crg001
07-14-2021, 04:30 PM
Same kind of thing is how I ended up where I am now. Beginning of March 2020 I was furloughed from my engineering job for 6 weeks. As I had just picked up a new (used) car only a month before, suddenly I had so much time to practice things I normally didn't do while detailing and a fresh canvas to experiment with. The rabbit hole got very deep, very fast, and now I'm using all those skills I developed spending time in isolation (and here of course) as a side-gig detailing cars pretty much every weekend. This is definitely something that is going to stick with me until my body is no longer able... I'm in my early 30's now so hopefully several many decades!

psnt1ol
07-14-2021, 06:44 PM
Same kind of thing is how I ended up where I am now. Beginning of March 2020 I was furloughed from my engineering job for 6 weeks. As I had just picked up a new (used) car only a month before, suddenly I had so much time to practice things I normally didn't do while detailing and a fresh canvas to experiment with. The rabbit hole got very deep, very fast, and now I'm using all those skills I developed spending time in isolation (and here of course) as a side-gig detailing cars pretty much every weekend. This is definitely something that is going to stick with me until my body is no longer able... I'm in my early 30's now so hopefully several many decades!

Early 30s !!! you are just a pup . LOL

I also bought a new car one month before the lockdown. If I knew covid would cause a 14 months furlough....I would had waited. :D

DFB
07-15-2021, 02:55 AM
Well, where I live has been thrown into a snap 5 day lockdown. Looks like I will get more time for detailing again.

opie
07-15-2021, 04:43 AM
Well, where I live has been thrown into a snap 5 day lockdown. Looks like I will get more time for detailing again.I feel bad for you...thats ridiculous.

On a different note..what could you even do to cleanup those fords anymore?? Those things always seem spotless [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk