PDA

View Full Version : 6" vs 7" polisher

bradleyheathhays
07-13-2021, 02:07 AM
I'm in the market for a 7" polisher but because I've spent soo much on equipment lately I'm having to cheap out and go with the lowest cost option that'll get the job done. I've found some relatively affordable 6" random orbital polishers but the cheapest 7" RO is gonna be $100 more.

I've never owned a polisher before so I'm wondering what's the difference between a 6" and 7". The polishing work I'll use it for is non-automotive, furniture related actually, so it won't be put through near as much use compared to auto detailing work. They all seem to have the same 5/8"-11 drive spindle for the pad so I guess the only difference would be the motor size, which would determine how big a pad it should turn.

Am I gonna be at any kind of a disadvantage getting a 6" polisher vs. 7". Can the 6" take the same pads as the 7", maybe just cut them down some?

Thanks

Mike Phillips
07-13-2021, 08:43 AM
I've never owned a polisher before so I'm wondering what's the difference between a 6" and 7".

Let me shed some light on this topic...

There is no such thing as a 6" or 7" polisher.

These numbers in inches refer to the diameter of the backing plate. It has ZERO to do with the tool. The sad thing is some companies label and describe their tools by the diameter of the backing plate INSTEAD of describing the tool by the "action" of the tool, which would simply be educating the customer.

Set some time aside and watch this video, I explain ALL of this stuff and also run through all the most popular tools by their ACTION - not the diameter of the backing plate that comes on the tool.

https://youtu.be/nmMHTh3Zqys

:)

Odrapnew
07-13-2021, 12:37 PM
Woah, weird.
I was reading this thinking deja vu.
Well, sort of is. Saw this exact post on VW Vortex about 10 minutes ago.

I have no useful info to add.

Mike Phillips
07-13-2021, 03:35 PM
Woah, weird.

I was reading this thinking deja vu.

Well, sort of is. Saw this exact post on VW Vortex about 10 minutes ago.

I think it's common for people "into cars" to be members of multiple discussion forums and also FB groups.

Then what is also common is for people to post the same question to multiple platforms and see what kind of info the get? Then at some point, go with the best info no matter where they get it.

Me?

I'll stick by what I wrote above. That is, polishers should be defined by their action or movement, not the diameter of the backing plate that comes in the box. :laughing:

I have no useful info to add.

I disagree. You added interesting info.

:dblthumb2: