PDA

View Full Version : Some smearing and 1st time driving in the rain with 303

Don M
07-11-2021, 10:48 PM
Driving home from work today, I hit a light rain going down the highway. On the glass, the 303 acted amazingly like Rain-X as far as water repellency, with even the smallest drops of water shooting up the glass as I travelled about 70 mph. On the paint, the water literally FLEW up the hood and across the vertical panels and once I got home, the car was practically dry, with only scattered droplets of water remaining on the surface + the car still looked remarkably clean. Granted this was a short-term, light rain shower, but it made me wish for a downpour so I could really see the behavior of a lot of water hitting the car while at speed.

As for the smearing/haze, I noticed it yesterday. There are random `splotches` where it looks like I didn`t buff off all the residue when removing the 303 after application (I did). I am thinking that by applying "so much" at once (two coats within an hour`s time), the carrier did not fully evaporate and has since `seeped` out to the surface. I have seen this phenomenon before (with Klasse Sealant Glaze) and all that was required was a good wash & dry to remove the splotches and the surface looked perfect again. I was going to give that a try, but seeing as how it`s supposed to rain for the next week, I might not be able to wash it for a while. You have to be close and at the right angle to see the splotching/smearing and a non-car person would never see it, and the car still looks great.

I did take clean mf cloth an gently wipe at one of the splotches and in removed most of it except for some LIGHT smearing which seems to confirm my opinion that it is the carrier liquid that didn't evaporate entirely coming to the surface.

glen e
07-12-2021, 01:01 AM
I also used 303 in my windshield and decided it’s not a good idea. It was never meant to be on glass and there’s no mention by 3O3 to use it on glass. I took mine off with alcohol.

Don M
07-12-2021, 01:32 AM
I also used 303 in my windshield and decided it’s not a good idea. It was never meant to be on glass and there’s no mention by 3O3 to use it on glass. I took mine off with alcohol.

Odd, in everything I've seen on the 303 Graphene, is says "everything but tires" and in the video they have out they show themselves using it on the glass.

EDIT - on the website goldeagle.com when you click on the 303 Graphene, it specifically states "Great for use on chrome, wheels, trim and glass"

Mike Phillips
07-12-2021, 08:07 AM
It does say on the 303 website and in a 303 video that it can be used on glass.

Me?

I would use it on SIDE glass but not the windshield. With rubber blades abrading over the glass I'm a tick careful and picky what I put on any windshield, mine, someone else's, etc.

:)

Mike Phillips
07-12-2021, 08:09 AM
For anyone interested,

I shared the link to the 303 information page for the 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating PLUS the 303 video for this product in post #3 of Don's thread here,

303 Graphene questions (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/129685-303-graphene-questions.html)

:buffing:

vaca22
07-12-2021, 01:50 PM

Me?

I would use it on SIDE glass but not the windshield. With rubber blades abrading over the glass I'm a tick careful and picky what I put on any windshield, mine, someone else's, etc.

This is what I used to do with Rain-X. It was neat to see the water fly off the windshield when it rained, but any time I had to use the wipers I ended up getting this ugly, greasy streaking that was best remedied by letting the rain hit the glass without using the wipers again. So, side windows and rear windows became my thing, and I never used it on the front windshield again.

Last....October??...I threw on a single coat if CQUK 3.0 and that is still holding up very nicely. Water doesn't fly off like with Rain-X, but it for sure moves away, and I find that it does a great job of keeping the glass cleaner in general. Zero streaking, of course!

Don M
07-12-2021, 04:07 PM
Just so there's no confusion, the smearing I'm getting is on the painted surfaces, not the glass.

Mike Phillips
07-13-2021, 09:35 AM
Just so there's no confusion, the smearing I'm getting is on the painted surfaces, not the glass.

Thanks for clarifying Don.

Apologies I didn't understand from the initial reading of your first post.

Also - good to hear.

:dblthumb2:

Azure
07-13-2021, 11:59 AM

I noticed with Turtle Wax Seal n Shine, I'll get hazy-looking blotches or smudges where the wipers stop and go the opposite direction. I have Optimum Spray Wax on the car this year and have seen that once or twice. Something that is different between the two is that I now use Xtreme Solutions Topper and I used BeadMaker last year with the Turtle Wax SnS. The point is, I think I'm going to stop using these type of waxes/sealants on my windows from no on and see if that changes. Later this fall, I'll be ready to use 303, but not on my windows.

Azure
07-13-2021, 12:03 PM

Me?

It makes me wonder if it's the Toppers/BeadMakers, etc that do this smearing/smudging on the windshield that I've experienced and NOT the wax/sealants..?

Don M
07-13-2021, 01:36 PM
The verdict is in about the windshield ... at least for me.

Last night while I was in work, it rained pretty heavy and I had to use the wipers to initially clear the windshield. There was no skipping or chattering and the windshield was clean, no streaks or smears. Driving cleared the rest of the water off the glass and quite impressively of the paint - these larger beads of water really flew off the body panels.

After driving a few miles, the car and glass was completely dry and it was bright enough out to see the windshield, despite having used the wipers, was crystal clear. So any worries of smearing etc were not founded.

I figured that if the 303 Graphene coating, while at it's freshest and thickest didn't have any adverse affects from using the wipers, then as time goes by and the coating "fully" cures (I know, I know, no cure time required) and thins due to 'erosion' (for lack of a better term at the moment), then I don't see the smearing gremlin rearing it's head.