PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Out

Pages : [1] 2

dmiracle
07-05-2021, 01:59 PM
Alright,

I'm turning to you guys and gals for help. As I have posted before I recently got into "machine" detailing. I have always taken my vehicle to others when it is due. The biggest reason for this was time, two jobs prior and the National Guard took up all of my free/off time. A year and a half ago I switched jobs and now have much more free time. I am starting to use machines on my personal vehicles, so its all a learning experience for me currently. With that being said, now to the part I need help with....

I get asked a lot by family/friends to "clean" their vehicles for them. For the longest time I said no, just because I didn't want to touch someone else's. The more and more I do my own, the more and more I enjoy it though and want to tell them yes...for a price of course. :D Just starting I do NOT plan to use any machines on anyone's vehicles besides my own. What advice would you all offer when it comes to a simple wash and "spray wax" type cleaning? I will also do simple wipe downs and coatings on the inside and vacuum as well. As I get more confident with my machine skills I will begin throwing that in with a few, but for now I just want to do simple washes, wheels/tires, and a spray wax. I use a lot of Meguiar's on my personal vehicles, but I am not against venturing out into the world to try other items.

Step 1: Rinse off the entire vehicle.
Step 2: Wash wheels and tires.
Step 3: Treat all bug and tough spots.
Step 4: Foam gun and wash using several Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitt's (top-down).
Step 5: Dry vehicle.
Step 6: Spray Wax.
Step 7: Spray/Clean windows.
Step 8: Interior if requested.

Break it down and give me feedback/suggestions, please and thank you!

weekend warrior
07-05-2021, 02:51 PM
I am no expert....a lot depends on the condition of the paint.....I use an AIO ' all in one' Blackfire One Step....it cleans....Polishes and protects....you can use it by hand...better with machine....spray wax I use Blackfire SIO2 spray sealant....on the tires duragloss 252...wish you luck

Texchappy
07-05-2021, 02:55 PM
It’s so dry here that I have to be very careful with rinsing or I’ll leave water marks. Meg’s makes good stuff but there are a lot of good products out there. There’s something to be said for the simplicity of using one line but it’s always fun to try something new (says the person with a cabinet full of different stuff he needs to use up).

Jayfro
07-05-2021, 03:03 PM
You may want to look at 303 Graphene for the final step. It値l give them a longer lasted finish than what wax will ever do. It痴 not a spray on type of application but a little more time for the application may be worth it.

Just an idea.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

dmiracle
07-05-2021, 04:33 PM
I am no expert....a lot depends on the condition of the paint.....I use an AIO ' all in one' Blackfire One Step....it cleans....Polishes and protects....you can use it by hand...better with machine....spray wax I use Blackfire SIO2 spray sealant....on the tires duragloss 252...wish you luck

Thanks! I will check into it and see what I think! I'm by no means against using and trying out several products until finding the "right" one.

dmiracle
07-05-2021, 04:36 PM
I don't really have any issues with water marks. Yeah, I just won a contest and received an entire 5 gallon bucket full of Sonax products. I'm excited to try them out and see what I like out of it.

dmiracle
07-05-2021, 04:37 PM
You may want to look at 303 Graphene for the final step. It’ll give them a longer lasted finish than what wax will ever do. It’s not a spray on type of application but a little more time for the application may be worth it.

Just an idea.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Thanks man! I just saw a post from Mike about this product and I am definitely going to try it also. There are so many products out there, it's hard to narrow down and just use limited ones! haha

psnt1ol
07-05-2021, 05:02 PM
Alright,

I'm turning to you guys and gals for help. As I have posted before I recently got into "machine" detailing. I have always taken my vehicle to others when it is due. The biggest reason for this was time, two jobs prior and the National Guard took up all of my free/off time. A year and a half ago I switched jobs and now have much more free time. I am starting to use machines on my personal vehicles, so its all a learning experience for me currently. With that being said, now to the part I need help with....

I get asked a lot by family/friends to "clean" their vehicles for them. For the longest time I said no, just because I didn't want to touch someone else's. The more and more I do my own, the more and more I enjoy it though and want to tell them yes...for a price of course. :D Just starting I do NOT plan to use any machines on anyone's vehicles besides my own. What advice would you all offer when it comes to a simple wash and "spray wax" type cleaning? I will also do simple wipe downs and coatings on the inside and vacuum as well. As I get more confident with my machine skills I will begin throwing that in with a few, but for now I just want to do simple washes, wheels/tires, and a spray wax. I use a lot of Meguiar's on my personal vehicles, but I am not against venturing out into the world to try other items.

Step 1: Rinse off the entire vehicle.
Step 2: Wash wheels and tires.
Step 3: Treat all bug and tough spots.
Step 4: Foam gun and wash using several Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitt's (top-down).
Step 5: Dry vehicle.
Step 6: Spray Wax.
Step 7: Spray/Clean windows.
Step 8: Interior if requested.

Break it down and give me feedback/suggestions, please and thank you!

You can combined step 4-7 with a product like Carpro Hydrofoam or GYEON Q2M Bathe + Plus. If you want to continue to use your own car soap then check out Black fire Hydroseal. You apply hydroseal while the car is wet. CarPro Hrdro2 works the same way.

The trick to these products is to do them in the shade.

noorth
07-05-2021, 09:23 PM
I don't really have any issues with water marks. Yeah, I just won a contest and received an entire 5 gallon bucket full of Sonax products. I'm excited to try them out and see what I like out of it.

Sonax makes very good products. Cutmax and perfect finish are some of my favorite products of all time. I enjoy there leather foam has well. And PNS is another gem if you want fast and easy 3-6mths of protection with ceramic type beads.

A lot of quality products out there. I really like a lot of carpro's stuff has well. I was going to try wolfgang's uber si02 rinseless but i stuck with old faithful, carpro's ech20, which has quickly become another favorite of mine.

If you want to make some extra money. Don't forget the very important drying step. Again i have carpro's dehydrate towel and gyeon's silk dryer. Both are very similar, twisted loop drying towels. Just not a fan of purple, gyeon's is purple. Lots of good drying towels out there. A fan favorite on autogeek is the PFM from griots but its very pricey. I have never used it personally.

dmiracle
07-05-2021, 10:44 PM
You can combined step 4-7 with a product like Carpro Hydrofoam or GYEON Q2M Bathe + Plus. If you want to continue to use your own car soap then check out Black fire Hydroseal. You apply hydroseal while the car is wet. CarPro Hrdro2 works the same way.

The trick to these products is to do them in the shade.

I知 all about combining steps, that saves money and time. Lol I値l have to check into both and see what I think!

dmiracle
07-05-2021, 10:46 PM
Sonax makes very good products. Cutmax and perfect finish are some of my favorite products of all time. I enjoy there leather foam has well. And PNS is another gem if you want fast and easy 3-6mths of protection with ceramic type beads.

A lot of quality products out there. I really like a lot of carpro's stuff has well. I was going to try wolfgang's uber si02 rinseless but i stuck with old faithful, carpro's ech20, which has quickly become another favorite of mine.

If you want to make some extra money. Don't forget the very important drying step. Again i have carpro's dehydrate towel and gyeon's silk dryer. Both are very similar, twisted loop drying towels. Just not a fan of purple, gyeon's is purple. Lots of good drying towels out there. A fan favorite on autogeek is the PFM from griots but its very pricey. I have never used it personally.

I知 pretty excited about trying them, I won稚 lie. Ill let you know what I think! I知 trying to find the right combination, using the least amount of products to maximize profit. I知 not against using more products to get the job done and done correctly either though.

noorth
07-05-2021, 11:42 PM
I’m pretty excited about trying them, I won’t lie. Ill let you know what I think! I’m trying to find the right combination, using the least amount of products to maximize profit. I’m not against using more products to get the job done and done correctly either though.

I'm not a professional but from personal experience, claying and machine polishing is were its at for changing the appearance of a car.

opie
07-06-2021, 04:35 AM
No matter what...if you start doing others on the side for money, always remember they will never pay you enough to make it worth your while to get it "perfect". I just had to leave tar spots on a friends truck cuz he wasnt going to want to pay for all the extra time involved to get the last 35% of it off.

Good luck and price everything accordingly. Figure out what you want to make, but also be fair for your level of skill. Also buying products by the gallons will be more cost effective for you to make more per job.

dmiracle
07-06-2021, 12:57 PM
I'm not a professional but from personal experience, claying and machine polishing is were its at for changing the appearance of a car.

I know it is, but I do not feel comfortable enough when it comes to paint correction to try it on other vehicles at this time. Do I want to get there? Yes, of course, but for now I plan to keep practicing on my own. That is the end goal for me though.

opie
07-06-2021, 02:51 PM
Thats the great thing about da machines, its like next to impossible to mess it up lol, just start with least agressive method to remove whatever defects your trying to remove:xyxthumbs: