PDA

View Full Version : Brake cleaner for removing wax?

Pages : [1] 2

locarno
07-04-2021, 04:03 AM
Hello
Can I use brake cleaner for removing wax? Also what do you think about using Extraction naphtha for wax removing?

98CayenneTA
07-04-2021, 04:38 AM
No need to remove wax with brake cleaner.

If it's a carnauba wax leave your vehicle in the sun for a day lol.

What do you got going on that you're wanting done?

One pass with a fine polish and a da will remove it easily. 20 min. of work.

FUNX650
07-04-2021, 08:25 AM
Can I use brake cleaner
for removing wax?

Not if it is a “Chlorinated” brake cleaner!!

•Better yet:
-Don’t chance using chlorinated brake
cleaner to clean anything: a heat induced
by-product—methane gas—is a real killer.

-If you have any at your residence:
please dispose of it, responsibly, ASAP.
{Just a a well-intentioned advisement.}

Also what do you think about using
Extraction naphtha for wax removing?

With me considering polishing process(es)
as more efficient means for the total
removal of Waxes…I have mixed thoughts
about using Extraction Naptha for the
specific purpose of Wax removal.

Of course: YMMV.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I may ask:
What Wax are you using?
If it takes the above Solvents to
remove it…I Want Some of It!

Bob

locarno
07-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Soft99 Fusso coat for dark paints

locarno
07-04-2021, 10:30 AM
carnauba wax really removes itself under direct sun? Why?

Texchappy
07-04-2021, 11:42 AM
carnauba wax really removes itself under direct sun? Why?

It has a melting point below what paint reaches under summer sun. Part of the reason it’s more prevalent in Britain than here in Texas.

Mike Phillips
07-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Hello
Can I use brake cleaner for removing wax?

Also what do you think about using Extraction naphtha for wax removing?

When I read through your posting history (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=4192483) I find it confusing all the "various" questions you ask.

I figure you're truly here to learn and need help or you're trolling this forum.

:dunno:

Mike Phillips
07-05-2021, 09:48 AM
Hello

Can I use brake cleaner for removing wax?

I think it's a tick overkill but hey, it's your car.

Is this for the car you repainted here where you're having problems removing scratches with your 125mm polisher?

What I'm doing wrong here? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/129683-what-im-doing-wrong-here.html)

Or a different car?

What is the end-goal for this car with wax on it?

A safer way to remove the wax would be to simply machine polish the car using your 125mm polisher.

locarno
07-05-2021, 11:05 AM
Yes. It is all for the same car. I asked about wax removing because I polished the hood and put wax on it. As you know from another thread the polishing was not so good becasue left very scratches. So I need to correct it. I don't want to polish this element because I heard that old wax can clogg up my polishing pad.

Mike Phillips
07-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Yes. It is all for the same car.

I asked about wax removing because I polished the hood and put wax on it. As you know from another thread the polishing was not so good becasue left very scratches. So I need to correct it.

I don't want to polish this element because I heard that old wax can clogg up my polishing pad.

Wax clogging your pad will be no worse than clearcoat clogging your pad. Pads get dirty. Then you clean them.

Using a brake cleaner, in my opinion is way to harsh and aggressive to remove a microscopic thin layer of wax. Keep it simple, just machine polish to get the wax off or do what you think is best.

glen e
07-05-2021, 11:29 AM
mike- this is not worth you time but I understand your position needs to answer…

a rediculous question…Im waiting for the next question: “can I use a flame thrower for getting rid of wax?”

locarno
07-05-2021, 11:37 AM
Ok. But could it be polish like Menzerna 3000 or it must be medium/hard cut polish? I saw there are special products for wax removing like McKee's 37 Coating Prep.

joshhas99problems
08-04-2021, 07:40 AM
Brake clean?! I would not recommend trying that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Farmallluvr
08-04-2021, 07:14 PM
I use wax and grease remover ...it's what it's designed for and doesn't knock you out like brake cleaner

PaulMys
08-04-2021, 07:18 PM
Hello
Can I use brake cleaner for removing wax? Also what do you think about using Extraction naphtha for wax removing?

When I read through your posting history (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/search.php?searchid=4192483) I find it confusing all the "various" questions you ask.

I figure you're truly here to learn and need help or you're trolling this forum.

mike- this is not worth you time but I understand your position needs to answer…

a rediculous question…Im waiting for the next question: “can I use a flame thrower for getting rid of wax?”

I use wax and grease remover ...it's what it's designed for and doesn't knock you out like brake cleaner

Kind of a troll-like question/thread IMO.

Who in the hell would spray brake cleaner on their paint?

I think this one needs to be interned into the thread graveyard...........