PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on wheel cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

crash93ssei
04-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I recently made a big purchase here and I am VERY happy with what I received. I ordered the Four Star Ultimate Gel Wheel Cleaner and I was quite impressed with it, but I don't know how it compares to other brands other then OTC as I am still somewhat new to all of this.

Well, the Four Star is a bit expensive, and I am looking at checking out some cheaper alternatives that work just as good.

Here are some of the ones I am considering:
DP Gel Wheel Cleaner
Megs Wheel Brightener
Poor Boys Spray & Rinse

I might try P21s in the future, but for now, it is a bit expensive for me.

I am also not to sure about the wheel brightener because of the acid.
I do have a question on the PB S&R though, I have read that it is citric acid based, does that make it safer, health wise and rim finish wise then the Megs wheel brightener?

I am doing this as a hobby for now, mostly weekends and such... just having fun with it and learning more with every car I do.

Any help would surely be appreciated.

ScottB
04-13-2008, 02:32 PM
save yourself some grief and get the P21S. The Poorboys and Megs offerings are far to powerful for normal use IMO. DP aint bad however ...

crash93ssei
04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Another thing is that probably all of the cars that I will be doing have likely NEVER had the wheels properly cleaned, and will have alot of miles on them. That is why I was liking the stronger cleaner.

What if I used the PB S&R the first time to restore, then something like DP for upkeep? As I said above, I am not really interested in the P21s right now because of the price.

phillystyle
04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
surfcity beyond steel wheel cleaner is nothing short of amazing

i have tried all of the above mentioned cleaners

if you really need heavy duty, use poorboys
but surfcity might just surprise you.

Driven Auto Detail
04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
If you haven't seen it yet, check out Optimum's new Power Clean. It's an APC. I've been using a lot of it over the last couple weeks. It's by far the best tire cleaner I've ever used. I've not had any bad wheels to test it on, but it's safe for all wheels. You can also use it on bugs, bird droppings, tar, etc. Dilute it 3:1 and it's a great interior APC. I'd suggest buying by the gallon b/c it has so many uses.

Al-53
04-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Try Eagle 1 A to Z wheel cleaner..non acid and really cleans brake dust good...right now I think some auto parts have buy 1 get 1 ...

be surprised how good it works...

AL

crash93ssei
04-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Tried Eagle 1 stuff..... not impressed even a little bit. It won't touch a rim that hasn't been properly cleaned in over 80,000 miles in Michigan.

Anyone have any thoughts on my question about safety with PB vs. Megs?

Al-53
04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Tried Eagle 1 stuff..... not impressed even a little bit. It won't touch a rim that hasn't been properly cleaned in over 80,000 miles in Michigan.

Anyone have any thoughts on my question about safety with PB vs. Megs?

yes ..I agree..80,000 miles of non cleaning is a bit to clean...I think the Megs Wheel Brightner may be your friend if they are black and crusted...a one time shot will not hurt them...it does clean....

the Eagle one works for me on maintained cars..not neglected ones..lol...

Al

trlblazer3
04-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I use Meg's Wheel Brightener for heavily soiled wheels, and DP gel for lighter duty cleaning. I have not found anything that works better on wheels than Meg's Wheel Brightener, especially at that price-point.

killrflake
04-13-2008, 10:44 PM
save yourself some grief and get the P21S. The Poorboys and Megs offerings are far to powerful for normal use IMO. DP aint bad however ...
I have to agree about the P21S, but I admit trying to clean wheels that where left uncleaned for 80K miles is something I have never been faced with.

TOGWT
04-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Wheel surface Cleaning -:
It is important to keep wheel surfaces clean, as well as improving the overall look of the vehicle leaving them dirty can have many adverse effects; the black powder coating on the surface of your wheel has four components; a static friction charge (caused by the pads contact with the rotors) that attracts dirt, road tar and other contaminants kicked up by both your vehicle and others. Friction heats the pads and callipers to extremely high temperatures, and causes tiny particles of hot metal to wear off and sent flying in different directions - Wheel Cleaners: - Detailing Bliss Forum (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f35/wheel-cleaners-1201.html)

crash93ssei
04-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Still wondering if the citric acid base of the PB S&W is safer for health and rim finish then the Megs WB.......

Does anyone have any idea here?

I am leaning for one of these two for the heavy soiled never taken care of rims, but I need an answer to that question before I order.

matteo86
04-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Maybe consider ARO? I have used it 1:1 and it still works wonders on caked wheels...
Spray on Amazing Roll Off and watch the dirt roll off! (http://www.autogeek.net/amazing-roll-off.html)

crash93ssei
04-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Still wondering if the citric acid base of the PB S&W is safer for health and rim finish then the Megs WB.......

Does anyone have any idea here?

I am leaning for one of these two for the heavy soiled never taken care of rims, but I need an answer to that question before I order.

Ok, please, I am not interested in P21s, or eagle one, or anything else.... I just want that question answered.

budman3
04-15-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't know the specifics about Meg's Wheel Brightener but IIRC it's pretty powerful stuff. The PB S&R is also a professional product but if you use some common sense you will be fine with either one. But I think as someone stated, you shouldn't be needing to use a harsh wheel cleaner on a regular basis, after you get them clean initially, seal them with a wheel sealant and then keep them clean by washing with soap and water. If you are working on neglected wheels a lot then either the Meg's or PB cleaner will be necessary.

I've used the PB S&R many times and no problems. Just keep the wheels wet- don't let it dry with the cleaner on it. That being said it is pivotal to rinse the wheels completely as well. I do not know anything about the different types of acids so I can't help you there...