PDA

View Full Version : Wanna take a guess?

glen e
06-29-2021, 08:21 AM
So somebody has scratched the paint above the door handle somehow and then Done a terrible bonehead touch up job, anybody want to take a guess what a body shop would charge you to repair this to acceptable?

There is absolutely no dent whatsoever they are all surface scratches…it’s a ruby red 16 mustang…..

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-101-a/73803d1624972849-wanna-take-guess-05d79912-c536-4f94-97ec-b4c6c2f8d32c-jpg

vaca22
06-29-2021, 08:29 AM
I like these games.

Over this past winter the contractors that clear the snow from our lot managed to bump into my front bumper with one of those Bobcats. He must have BARELY bumped into it because the way those things bounce around, if was anything other than a light graze it'd be a full-on smash.

Anyhoo, the damage was very minimal, just a slight indentation and a bit of a scratch that resulted in loss of paint. A bodyshop quoted me (the contractors, actually!) $800 for what essentially amounted to a repainting of the entire bumper.

It wouldn't surprise me if they said you need the entire door repainted. I know positively zero about body work, so I hope I don't sound like a fool, but the way they described it to me was that it would be very hard to match the paint of small section to the rest of the car, so the whole thing would get a once-over.

If that's the case, I'm guessing they quoted you a similar amount.

FUNX650
06-29-2021, 10:46 AM
IMO:
Since it’s a Tri-Color…the Bodyshop
is going to encourage a repainting of
the entire door; ie: “Custom paint job”.

•Depending on the area of the Country;
paying cash; using Insurance; etc…
-Guesstimate [at a top-notch Shop in
SW Ohio (such as: ‘Lo-Man’s Rods’)]:
~$600-$800.

Bob

Bobby B.
06-29-2021, 10:56 AM
I would try to level the touch up paint first to see if you can make the blobs less visible.

I'm guessing a quality body shop would charge around $1,000.00 - $1,500.00 depending if they blend into other panels.

glen e
06-29-2021, 10:56 AM
I know a panel job would be 800 bucks, not what I’m looking for, just got an estimate for 400 to get it smooth using a wheel, the scratches will be darker a bit….good to go. I’d do it myself with my touch up paint and rotary, but it’s my bro’s car 600 miles away….

FUNX650
06-29-2021, 11:29 AM
I know a panel job would be 800 bucks,
not what I’m looking for

just got an estimate for 400 to get it
smooth using a wheel, the scratches
will be darker a bit….good to go.

my bro’s car

So…
I take it you’re looking to reinforce the
negative stereotype often associated
with being a Mustang owner?

Did you and your bro have a falling out?

Bob

glen e
06-29-2021, 11:31 AM
Stupid comment bob, but what I expected from you.

FUNX650
06-29-2021, 11:38 AM
Stupid comment bob, but what
I expected from you.
Don’t forget that I’m older than you;
and I’m even more opinionated than
you’ll ever be.

Bob

DUBL0WS6
06-29-2021, 01:42 PM
Because that's a metallic tri coat paint, if a shop attempts to blend it, it will look horrible. Unfortunately, to fix that correctly will require a full respray of the panel and most likely a blend into each adjacent panel.

LEDetailing
06-29-2021, 01:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210629/5fd49acb9dec2ba297fbba327a8d490b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
06-29-2021, 03:45 PM
This,

Because that's a metallic tri coat paint, if a shop attempts to blend it, it will look horrible.

Unfortunately, to fix that correctly will require a full respray of the panel and most likely a blend into each adjacent panel.

Yup.

If they just paint edge-to-edge the door - it will look wrong when you stand back a few feet. A professional shop knows this and will only take the job if they can blend into the rear and front panels to camouflage any color difference.

Bummer man... :dunno:

2black1s
06-29-2021, 04:00 PM
I'm not familiar with that color... Is it really tri-coat? I don't know.

Regardless, here's what I would do first. https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles/125096-discerning-paint-chip-touch-up-not-everyone-every-chip.html?highlight=discerning+chip+repair

If the result is not good enough then I'd consider the other options, one of which is leaving it as is. Repainting, especially hard-to-match colors, which any tri-coat is, has it's own risks.

glen e
06-29-2021, 04:12 PM
21black:

Exactly… The spots up are completely covered with the same color as the car all I need to do is get rid of a lot of the brushstrokes that have been put on the car that are overlapping on completely fine paint. I believe that 3000 grit wet paper sanded and then various degrees of pads and compounds will bring flush snd smooth, and poss some clear……A local detailer and body shop has agreed with me and once we get pictures, I’ll put them here.

It’s obvious that the bonehead that did this used the big brush on most touch up bottles, to excess, instead of using a toothpick and putting the paint on top of the defect.

2black1s
06-29-2021, 04:19 PM
glen e... I think you replied to the wrong thread (the touch up method one) but now I see you replied here too. I'm replying in each thread also...

Before you hit those poorly repaired scratches with any kind of sandpaper, check out this thread where I helped a guy out who had a nearly identical situation to the one you are dealing with.

How to fix previously(poorly) repaired scratches (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/128590-how-fix-previously-poorly-repaired-scratches.html)

glen e
06-29-2021, 04:22 PM
thx will try the acetone.