PDA

View Full Version : Tar removal

joleyred
06-25-2021, 12:56 PM
I applied Carpro UK to my truck in the fall. Today, I was detailing the truck and had a few stubborn tar spots. I considered using IGL Ecoclean tar remover, which is a creamy tar remover that works pretty good. I think the IGL might remove the coating, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks, Tim

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
06-25-2021, 01:13 PM
Tar removers are solvent/petroleum based and will remove some if not all of your coating. I would clean and re-coat.

crg001
06-25-2021, 01:42 PM
CarPro's Tar-X should be safe to use on the CQUK coating for contamination removal. I've used it on my CQuartz classic coated car without issue for tar and sap removal. I would wash really well with Reset or a strong soap afterwards and maybe top up with a SiO2 detailer/sealant like Elixer or Reload, or whatever similar product you have on hand, just to feed the coating a bit and keep the hydrophobics in top shape.

WhiteShadow89
06-25-2021, 03:06 PM
Another option for a tar remover that is listed as coating safe would be Gtechniq W7. I have used it successfully on Gtechniq coatings, but I really don't have the need to use it hardly at all nor have I used it with CQuartz UK. It does have a strong odor to it, definitely wash your towels well after use.

dwaleke
06-26-2021, 09:57 AM
As was said above. CarPro Tar-X is safe to use as-needed on a CQUK coated vehicle.

But as Mike always says if a product isn't adding to your protection then it is doing what? So just use it as needed - don't get carried away.