PDA

View Full Version : Bird bombs

dieselfan1
06-25-2021, 09:20 AM
I went golfing with some buddies the other day and parked under a tree. 5 hours later I had a crisis .
There was at least 10 bombs that already dug in.
Soon as I got home I had to break out the 7424xp and some Meguiars 205. Orange Lake country pads.
Thank God they all came out.
Then I continued on to rest of the truck. This is the third time in three months I have buffed/polished the truck. First time was because it needed it. Blackfire one step.Second was to get paint overspray off. Blackfire one step. Courtesy of my neighbor.
Now this time with Meguiars 205.
Well the paint looks fantastic now, probably better than after the two runs of the one step.
My main question is what is the best protection from the bombs?
I had a layer of Blackfire Midnight Sun Ivory Caranuba Paste Wax on top of the one step and it really offered no protection.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210625/f227a1d405ea1a96411a96bdac732661.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210625/dd45648c42772f464049f4c2f4615557.jpg

The truck is Black as coal. These reflections on top of the hood are almost mirror like [emoji106]

dieselfan1
06-25-2021, 10:10 AM
So right now my paint is bare. I have a case of this stuff.
Been using it here and there mostly as just a quickie detail spray.
I'm thinking about putting a few layers on. It's easy on easy off and is pretty slippery. At least for now.
I'm not really a fan of ceramic coatings and enjoy waxing/buffing/polishing. Detailed to the nines is my daily goal.
But them birds are starting to piss me off.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210625/ae19d7f29af2ada2a1b69d9e75d79f88.jpg

Bobby B.
06-25-2021, 10:42 AM
That depends on how acidic the Bird Bomb is. Bird Bombs can etch any LSP and even your clear coat paint finish. Ceramic Coatings and Polymer Paint Sealants would offer the best protection against Bird Bombs IMO.

dieselfan1
06-25-2021, 10:53 AM
These turds definitely hit the Clearcoat.
I got a bottle of this which I'm sure is better than the Lucas . How is it for the bombs?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210625/4065481104397c37f716646fc5c327fd.jpg

2black1s
06-25-2021, 11:06 AM
The best, and actually the only way, to protect from bird bombs is to remove them ASAP. LSPs may provide some marginal protection but I would never put my full faith in any of them.

This happened to my brand new truck back in 2016 the day after I picked it up. I was at Lowe's buying some materials and when I came out this is what I found. I went back in the store and bought a $15.00 bottle of water (with bottle deposit) to rinse off the mess. I didn't even want to risk driving home with that massive bird strike cooking on the hood.

73721 73722

dieselfan1
06-25-2021, 11:09 AM
The best, and actually the only way, to protect from bird bombs is to remove them ASAP. LSPs may provide some marginal protection but I would never put my full faith in any of them.

This happened to my brand new truck back in 2016 the day after I picked it up. I was at Lowe's buying some materials and when I came out this is what I found. I went back in the store and bought a $15.00 bottle of water (with bottle deposit) to rinse off the mess. I didn't even want to risk driving home with that massive bird strike cooking on the hood.

73721 73722I feel your pain.

Bobby B.
06-25-2021, 12:09 PM
The Blackfire BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax is awesome. It's a great product to have in your detailing arsenal. It will help protect the paint surface, but that depends on how acidic the bird bomb is and how long it stays on the paint surface before you remove it. Always try to remove any bird bombs ASAP since they are acidic.

dieselfan1
06-25-2021, 04:41 PM
I'm going to lay down some of the Blackfire Hybrid Liquid Wax then maybe another layer tomorrow.

PaulMys
06-25-2021, 05:11 PM
That depends on how acidic the Bird Bomb is. Bird Bombs can etch any LSP and even your clear coat paint finish. Ceramic Coatings and Polymer Paint Sealants would offer the best protection against Bird Bombs IMO.

I agree.

Of all the sealants/waxes/hybrids I have tried, Collinite products have been the best "bird bomb shields" by far.

But like others have said, no LSP is impervious to all bird bombs. You really need to remove them ASAP.

I find it very useful to always have a nice, soft MF towel and some QD or spray wax on hand (stored in your car/truck) for those little "bird gifts".

Bill D
06-25-2021, 05:16 PM
One has to keep in mind that the acid in the bird crap must be neutralized. Otherwise it will keep eating the paint. I would neutralize first before reapplying with any wax or sealant

dieselfan1
06-25-2021, 05:35 PM
I agree.

Of all the sealants/waxes/hybrids I have tried, Collinite products have been the best "bird bomb shields" by far.

But like others have said, no LSP is impervious to all bird bombs. You really need to remove them ASAP.

I find it very useful to always have a nice, soft MF towel and some QD or spray wax on hand (stored in your car/truck) for those little "bird gifts".I usually have mf towels and some spray wax with me but I didn't that day.
I went directly to the spray it yourself car wash and hosed it off only to see it already etched the clear coat.
I'll probably not park under trees anymore [emoji53]

PaulMys
06-25-2021, 05:44 PM
I usually have mf towels and some spray wax with me but I didn't that day.
I went directly to the spray it yourself car wash and hosed it off only to see it already etched the clear coat.
I'll probably not park under trees anymore [emoji53]

Yup!! :)

Markymapo
06-25-2021, 11:20 PM
I have found best bird bomb protection to be ceramic coatings.( Profi, GTech from experience). Waxes n Sealant s offer very little protection, except for Colinite. Still best to remove asap.