PDA

View Full Version : Applying wax on light paint - tips?

locarno
06-21-2021, 08:31 AM
Helo
Do you have some tips for apllying wax on light paint? On the black paint it is easy to see where the wax is applied and where isnt'. On the light paints it is hard to see it thus I don't know if my applicator need to be waxed again.

Mike Phillips
06-21-2021, 08:46 AM
A few decades ago someone had the idea of a color-changing wax. Basically, a was that after it dried, it changed to a color. The reason was to show when the wax was 'ready' to remove.

The other idea someone suggested was to make it turn a darker color so if working on white or light colored paint - we could see where the wax was and where it wasn't. Nothing ever came from the idea.

My only tip would be - have and use a great hand held light to light up the sides of the car to see if you've missed any wax. Like I share here,

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots! (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/120538-installing-ceramic-paint-coating-you-must-have-great-hand-held-light-avoid-high-spots.html)

:)

2black1s
06-21-2021, 07:26 PM
Take your time and work in a consistent pattern with plenty of overlap. As for your applicator having enough wax on it, error on the side of a little extra wax if you are unsure.

Back in my painting days, wet-sanding white was always more difficult than other colors because it just doesn't "show" your progress as clearly. Same difficulties apply with your wax on, wax off. You just can't see real easily.