PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Humidity on Ceramic/Graphene Coatings

Pages : [1] 2

SpeedoTT
06-18-2021, 08:20 PM
Greetings everyone,
I'm considering applying a ceramic or graphene coat to my vehicles, and since I have never worked with these products, I am concerned the Colorado's low humidity (at or below 50% most of the time) may negatively impact the time available for polishing off the product. I look forward to your insight and feedback.
Thank you

Cris

PS How much product will I need to coat the body of a compact crossover SUV?

Klasse Act
06-18-2021, 08:26 PM
Humidity like that will have NO effect! If your talking an actual coating like those in the little glass bottles there's enough in the kit to do your ride[emoji106] Watch videos like Apex Detailing for tips on how to do this correctly. If your not completely comfortable with an actual coating you could get something like 303 spray graphene. It's very user friendly and you'll get 4-5 months out of an application (I suggest 2x's after about 30 minutes inbetween)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The Guz
06-18-2021, 08:33 PM
Humidity will affect the flash time of a true coating.

Depends on how large the vehicle is. What model is it?

Klasse Act
06-18-2021, 08:34 PM
Humidity will affect the flash time of a true coating.

Depends on how large the vehicle is. What model is it?Flash slower[emoji848]

SpeedoTT
06-18-2021, 08:38 PM
Thank you Klasse Act. I'll keep the product in mind.

SpeedoTT
06-18-2021, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE= What model is it?[/QUOTE]

Hi Guz,
The first SUV is a 2001 Lexus RX300 and the other one is a 2019 VW Tiguan.

The Guz
06-18-2021, 09:48 PM
I don't know what graphene coating you are planning to go with but you could easily get 2 layers from a 30 ml bottle (ie: 1 bottle for each) on just the paint. If you are planning to coat the wheels and glass then a 50-60 ml bottle will do that with a little left over for each vehicle.

One tends to use less on the second layer if it is recommended by the manufacturer as the first layer goes into the pores and valleys of the paint.

SpeedoTT
06-18-2021, 10:31 PM
Gentlemen thank you for the insight. It's very helpful.

I've yet to decide which product to use. I'm inclined towards ceramic coatings just because they've been around longer. As for which brand and product to use... :dunno: ... I'm working on it :work:

noorth
06-20-2021, 12:02 AM
Gentlemen thank you for the insight. It's very helpful.

I've yet to decide which product to use. I'm inclined towards ceramic coatings just because they've been around longer. As for which brand and product to use... :dunno: ... I'm working on it :work:

Lots of good coatings. I've only tried carpro CQUK. It lived up to my expectations so far. Depends on your budget has well. CQUK must be one of the best bang for your buck coatings out there now since all the graphene coatings started coming out. Many are double even triple CQUK.

SpeedoTT
06-20-2021, 06:38 PM
Lots of good coatings. I've only tried carpro CQUK. It lived up to my expectations so far. Depends on your budget has well. CQUK must be one of the best bang for your buck coatings out there now since all the graphene coatings started coming out. Many are double even triple CQUK.

Thank you Noorth

Epilogts
06-20-2021, 09:41 PM
Speedo,

I too am in CO and have coated many cars here.

Having never coated a car in high humidity I have no experience, but putting on a coating in CO has never been an issue for me. Ceramic coatings are very nice as long as you prep well beforehand(clean and polish) as a coating will not hide anything.

Coatings can be a little finicky but if you’re capable, give it a go the CO humidity (lack of) shouldn’t keep you from getting it done.

SpeedoTT
06-20-2021, 10:57 PM
Speedo,

I too am in CO and have coated many cars

Epilogts
thank you Sir. May I ask what products have you use and like best

rangerbay
06-20-2021, 10:59 PM
You have a Lexus with softish clear, and a vw with hardish clear. Both are polish critical and pad critical. Choose wisely. I just used 3d ceramic coating, and really liked it. It does flash quickly, which I like.

You might try Sonax nano for the Lexus (test spot first) and the Sonax cutmax or cutmax plus on the vw. Medium pads to test spot, then power up if needed. The Tiguan, if heavy swirled, may need wool and rotary, or short throw orbital. Lexus probably rupes yellow foam.
use a couple clean ups with an IPA solution until it squeaks. I like Eraser, and have recently been using 3d wipe. All good. To me, diluted alcohol on the Lexus may mar it some.

Desertnate
06-21-2021, 07:47 AM
Flash slower[emoji848]

It will probably flash much faster in the dryer conditions as the carrier solvents will evaporate faster. I've applied CQuartz UK and TiO2 in some really humid conditions with pouring rain outside my garage and the flash time was double...if not longer. Add cool conditions to the humidity and you can be waiting a REALLY long time for a flash on a product like UK.

With CQuartz UK 3.0's long flash time, it might be the ideal solution for a dry humid climate.

I grew up in the Denver area and really miss it. I'm pretty sick of our 70% humidity and have fond memories of a 25% humidity on a summer day.

noorth
06-21-2021, 08:30 AM
It will probably flash much faster in the dryer conditions as the carrier solvents will evaporate faster. I've applied CQuartz UK and TiO2 in some really humid conditions with pouring rain outside my garage and the flash time was double...if not longer. Add cool conditions to the humidity and you can be waiting a REALLY long time for a flash on a product like UK.

With CQuartz UK 3.0's long flash time, it might be the ideal solution for a dry humid climate.

I grew up in the Denver area and really miss it. I'm pretty sick of our 70% humidity and have fond memories of a 25% humidity on a summer day.

I applied CQUK outside about 2 mths ago in 5-10 degree Celsius and over 50% humidity. I waited about 5-7 mins. It flashed and was very tacky to remove.

My previous application in similar conditions i waited about 3 min. Much easier wipe off and it looks just has good has the other panel.

If i would of waited over 10min i would of had a lot of issues.

Caveat: I applied the coating very thin. I found you really don't need very much.