PDA

View Full Version : Impressions on what this is and how to move forward

Lance Mark
06-18-2021, 01:38 PM
I've been working on my son's '14 Harley motorcycle.

The color is Vivid Black.

As you can see in this photo, there is some swirling, but no major marring and scratches.

I did the following:

1. Washed with CarPro's Reset.
2. Clay bar with Wolfgang Clay Bar and Chemical Guys lube.
3. Polished using Griot's G8, Orange Boss Pad and Wolfgang's Total Swirl Remover
4. Finished with Yellow Boss Perfecting Pad and Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze (Called a glaze, but actually a mildly abrasive polish)

The finish turned out great, but when I was going over it with a light, I found this. Again, the rests of tank is ready for prep and sealant and looks great. Even the center of the circle looks like nice polished clear coat. It looks almost like there was something on the surface that I mostly removed when I corrected, but not completely.

Is it possible that this is the start of a 'burn through'? It's about the size of a dime. It is not easy to see without bright light.

2black1s
06-18-2021, 11:28 PM
Looks like some kind of etching to me.

As for the start of a "burn through"? I'd say no. I'd even say there is no such thing... A burn through is either there or it is not. Additionally, a burn through would exhibit much smoother, less sharply defined borders than shown.

Coatingsarecrack
06-18-2021, 11:56 PM
According to what i’ve read mike post is you would have color transfer on your pad. Did you see colored paint on your pad?

If you don’t remember seeing it maybe try lightly polishing it with a mf towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk