PDA

View Full Version : Average depth of light swirl marks?

Skip
06-16-2021, 11:20 PM
What's the approximate depth of light swirling? Just after a very approximate value. Reason for asking is that Apex have just released a video about machine polishing swirl marks out of a coating. (I'm sceptical)

98CayenneTA
06-16-2021, 11:27 PM
1-3 microns I consider light damage

25.4 microns = .001"
25.4 microns = 1 mill (one millionth of a meter)

Mike Phillips
06-17-2021, 07:51 AM
Interesting.

So many variables for something like this? For example, how thick is the coating to be polished in the first place?

I have not watched the video but more power to him.

:dunno:

FUNX650
06-17-2021, 09:31 AM
What's the approximate depth
of light swirling? Just after a
very approximate value.

•In that case:
-I’ll say that, IMO, it can’t be much more
than somewhere ~1μm. Any more than
that, and you’ll be going into the paint
system’s topmost film-coat—ie: the CC.

•Either way (again IMO):
-The Coating has been compromised in the
area where the buffing occurred; and needs
to be repaired/replaced [via the Manufacturer’s
recommended process(es)] in order for it to
be made whole once again.

Bob

98CayenneTA
06-17-2021, 09:46 AM
I just watched the video and I did not take it as being able to correct a coating only.....

To me it looked like he was showing what he would do on a coated panel that has accumulated light to medium damage.

Just going the absolute bare minimum to remove the damage with a combination of Essence, Essence Plus & Angle wax polish with a no cut foam pad then doing a ipa and he re-coated the panel.

It really does not take much to remove a coating by machine.

If ya want to see just put a test spot on one of your windows but don't wipe it off, leave it as a high spot. I say window because coating high spots stick out like a sore thumb on glass, then see what it takes to remove it.

The Guz
06-17-2021, 10:26 AM
I watched the video and found it hard to watch. Just as Mike mentioned there is no way to know the coating thickness and no real way to gauge the defects are in the coating or paint. Coatings are not that difficult to remove. Any abrasive polish will remove it and also taking into account the cut of the pad. He shows using essence and even that will remove a coating along with a polishing or finishing pad.

I do questions some of the things he does.