PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impressions -- Flex Dual Action Buffer

Pages : [1] 2

ScottB
04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I finally got my hands on one of these buffers, and gotta say overall I suspect my PC will make its way back into the box. It is a very impressive machine and the initial use was flawless. I tried to read the somewhat lacking directions, and decided to just tighten the head and "gettur done".

Pro's
Speed --- This puppy can move and certainly offers more power and speed (also heat transfer) than UDM, or PC.

Dedicated Drive --- even with some pressure, the Flex kept on trucking and really got the job done without issue.

New Backing Plate -- I presume I have the new backing plate and had no backing plate contact, and the velcro attached to the pad like superglue.

Con's
Bale Handle -- while this is a cool design and really thought it would help. On higher areas like the roof, I would have preferred the standard handle and more control. At speed, this puppy will try and get away if possible.

Weight -- When wife took it out of the box, she remarked your arms are gonna hurt. Unscientifically this puppy feels about 1 1/2 to 2 times with weight of PC. I believe its even heavier than the Hitachi Rotary living in our garage.

Hook/Loop Pads --- darn I cannot tell you how much it sucked to go back to traditional pads after using the Edge system on PC for past two years. Trying to center the pad , and not being able to flip at 1/2 point was really missed.

That said, again the Flex is a much more powerful and user friendly unit for those wanting something like a PC on steriods. The Flex does get a bit hotter after running for awhile too. In closing, can someone remind me what the settings equate too in orbits ....

HighEndDetail
04-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks Scott

sparkie
04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
:goodpost: Thanks

Z06-Goose
04-12-2008, 08:48 PM
In closing, can someone remind me what the settings equate too in orbits ....Thanks for the review Scott :cheers:
Here you go:
http://www.khakism4.com/ForoDetalles/Fotos/albums/userpics/10002/normal_PC_-_Flex_02.jpg

Junebug
04-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Man, I really wanted one, but like that country song about the best things sometimes are those unanswered prayers. I could not afford to go in the hole for a Flex when I already have a PC and Makita. I found that I could get a lot more correction out of my PC by switching to LC 5.5" and 4" low profile LC pads. I got some great advice from another detailer about my Makita - take the handles off and hold it like you would a PC, it even has little places for your fingers under the spindle. I switched to 3M Extra Cut and Ultrafina and their pads - under good move, (update - changed to 105 for the compound).

Anyway, I guess the Flex is a good machine and from all the positive reviews - it is very popular. For me, I'm saving up for a carpet extractor and or a vapor steamer.

wytstang
04-12-2008, 09:50 PM
God I want one bad, the faster correction and smoother feel is what I am looking for. I like my UDM and all but the Flex

Surfer
04-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Con's

Hook/Loop Pads --- darn I cannot tell you how much it sucked to go back to traditional pads after using the Edge system on PC for past two years. Trying to center the pad , and not being able to flip at 1/2 point was really missed.

Thats what held me off, I love the Edge system, don't care for hook/loop pads now. Hopefully Edge has an adapter in the works for the Flex.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
04-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Thats what held me off, I love the Edge system, don't care for hook/loop pads now. Hopefully Edge has an adapter in the works for the Flex.

Aaron has told me they are in the works.... haven't heard from him in awhile but from the initial timing he gave me it should be coming real soon!!:D

Z06-Goose
04-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Aaron has told me they are in the works.... haven't heard from him in awhile but from the initial timing he gave me it should be coming real soon!!:D
With the Edge adapter, what size pads will you be able to use with it?
I favor the smallr pads for the work I do. Being able to use 6.5 to 5.5" pads will be a plus. I'm just playing the waiting game right now before I order my Flex. I want everything I'd need in one shot :cheers:

Jimmie
04-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the review Scott.

supercharged
04-13-2008, 03:04 AM
Love the Flex polisher!:righton:

mixxer
04-13-2008, 06:42 AM
I LOVE MINE TOO !but the negative is not being able to use my 5.5 pads.

ScottB
04-13-2008, 08:10 AM
What is a dedicated drive?

PC is officially 5.75 lbs, XC 3401 VRG is 5.75 lbs, and Hitachi SP 18VA is 6.2 lbs. As I have all 3 I have went and did quick "in hand compare" and neither one of them feels noticably heavier than the other.

Maybe dedicated drive was the wrong choice in words .... the motor feels much more substantial and powerful. I also like the triggered power option offered. Hope that helps. I still think the Flex feels heavier and my wrists seem to agree this morning. No itching hands however .....

The Edge
04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Be patient my Edge Heads, we are just about to complete and launch the first version within a few weeks!

Waxmax
04-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Killr,

Glad you finally got a Flex 3401. I really like mine, but I agree, it does take a little more care and "manpower" to operate than a PC or a UDM. I believe the OPS for the Flex and UDM are about the same for the different speeds with both topping out at 9600 OPS. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

As was pointed out earlier the PC is decidedly slower.

I too am anxious to see the Edge adapter. I did not realize what a perfectly centered pad could do, until I converted with on my UDM.