PDA

View Full Version : How to remove glue from dash?

bcgreen
06-09-2021, 10:17 PM
I have a tan/beige dash that had a hard shell cover over it. The shell was glued down with feels like silicon (soft rubber texture).
How do I remove this glue without affecting the original dash colour?
Now

Hopefully will be

Rsurfer
06-09-2021, 10:30 PM
Why did you remove the shell?

bcgreen
06-09-2021, 10:40 PM
Because I am trying to get it back to original. The shell was just that, a hard fiberglass cover. Somebody who might want to purchase the vehicle will be turned off.
If I can't get it to look decent I might have to put the shell back on.

Rsurfer
06-10-2021, 12:20 AM
Because I am trying to get it back to original. The shell was just that, a hard fiberglass cover. Somebody who might want to purchase the vehicle will be turned off.
If I can't get it to look decent I might have to put the shell back on.

Why don't you contact the person/company that put it on?

If that's not possible, you may have to put the shell back on. That's a lot of adhesive to remove and not damage the OEM dash.

bcgreen
06-10-2021, 09:21 AM
Why don't you contact the person/company that put it on?

If that's not possible, you may have to put the shell back on. That's a lot of adhesive to remove and not damage the OEM dash.

The glue I believe is a silicon glue as it is very soft, pliable and non staining. The owner is in France and may not be alive. I don't think he put it on because the interior was black when I bought it and the leather was stiff and definitely needed replacement which I have done and the dash is the last remnant of the black interior that was not original.

Mr_Anderson
07-08-2021, 06:19 PM
Maybe heavily coat it with some sort of moisturizing vinyl & plastic protectant, let it set overnight. Perhaps the next day the protectant will have made it's way under the adhesive, weakened the bond, and you can slowly pull the adhesive off?

Alternatively, heat it up with a heat gun? Maybe it will soften it, and you can slowly pull it off? I know heat often works to loosen up the adhesive on labels so they can be peeled of without leaving residue. Maybe that'll work here, too. Just, you know, try to not melt things.

57Rambler
07-08-2021, 08:49 PM
Try white vinegar (5%), using a soaked cloth to saturate the silicone.