PDA

View Full Version : Super hazy headlights after restoration 🤔

Zcutty69
06-08-2021, 08:54 PM
Hey guys, new member here. I tried searching this topic but didn't find any helpful information. Just a few older threads. Hopefully this is the right place to post. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have restored plenty of headlights in the past and this is the first time that I've really encountered this "issue". The vehicle is a 2003 Nissan Maxima. I started off using the 3M headlight restoration kit then added a variety of different sanding disc. I started with 500 grit (included in 3M kit) then progressed up to 2500grit and 3M Trizact 3000 pad. Polished with Meguiars 105 and also tried Meguiars plastic X. The lense itself is free from scratches or major defects. It looks okay but doesn't have the clarity that it needs to have. Hopefully the picture shows up below. Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to make these "pop". I hate the hazy look.

Before:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ff380/Gorilla356/PXL_20210529_194122594.jpg

After:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ff380/Gorilla356/PXL_20210529_194117681.jpg

Rsurfer
06-08-2021, 09:33 PM
Are you polishing by hand or machine?

Zcutty69
06-09-2021, 03:36 AM
Wet sanding was done with cordless drill, polishing done with both drill (foam attachment included in kit) and DA polisher with microfiber pad.

TTQ B4U
06-09-2021, 06:47 AM
I've done plenty but have never sanded with below 1000 grit. IMO it's more trouble than it's worth when it comes to then refining them. I'd likely give it another go with 3000. They should eventually prove far clearer than this and then a final polish (I use Rolite brand polishes) will bring them to near 100%.

I wouldn't stress too much as once you hit them with Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight (4oz spray can) even what you show here will come back to clear.

Eldorado2k
06-09-2021, 07:22 AM
I’m not sure exactly what year this Nissan Maxima was, but when I tried polishing the headlights they didn’t budge one bit. I’m talking zero change. So I’d say it has less to do with technique and more to do with Nissans from that era having cheap headlights.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210609/3fac08b94ac206ccb77b1b17cfb1cbf4.jpg

And IME that Meguiars spray will not fix headlights that behave like this. I’ve tried it on my fathers Tacoma and once the plastic turns yellow all the way through there’s no fixing it.

Desertnate
06-09-2021, 07:36 AM
And IME that Meguiars spray will not fix headlights that behave like this. I’ve tried it on my fathers Tacoma and once the plastic turns yellow all the way through there’s no fixing it.

This thought goes in the same direction I was thinking too. I think there is a point in time where the hazing/discoloration is IN the plastic itself (or maybe the interior surface) and no longer an external surface issue.

I've been polishing the headlights on my daughter's Mazda for a few years now. One thing I noticed the last time is I can still get them really clear/new looking, but there are slight hints of cloudiness which appear to be either in the plastic itself or on the inside of the lens. You have to get really close and know what your looking at, but it's there and I'm confident it wasn't there in the past.

Eldorado2k
06-09-2021, 08:22 AM
This thought goes in the same direction I was thinking too. I think there is a point in time where the hazing/discoloration is IN the plastic itself (or maybe the interior surface) and no longer an external surface issue.

I've been polishing the headlights on my daughter's Mazda for a few years now. One thing I noticed the last time is I can still get them really clear/new looking, but there are slight hints of cloudiness which appear to be either in the plastic itself or on the inside of the lens. You have to get really close and know what your looking at, but it's there and I'm confident it wasn't there in the past.

These cheap license plate covers serve as the perfect example of that cheap plastic where that happens. I used to have several of these that showed the effects of that longterm sun damage and they turn yellow all the way through. I can’t remember if they finally got tossed or where they’re at right now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210609/3f9adab9ed65ea68b9b2dce2b143d089.jpg

Zcutty69
06-09-2021, 08:54 AM
Greatly appreciate the input guys. I honestly think it's the plastic itself the more I think about it. The exterior surface of the lense is pretty much perfect. Also forgot to mention but I did use the Meguiars "keep clear coating" and it didn't make any difference besides adding just a bit of gloss to the surface. The headlight still looks hazy.

TTQ B4U
06-09-2021, 09:44 AM
Greatly appreciate the input guys. I honestly think it's the plastic itself the more I think about it. The exterior surface of the lense is pretty much perfect. Also forgot to mention but I did use the Meguiars "keep clear coating" and it didn't make any difference besides adding just a bit of gloss to the surface. The headlight still looks hazy.

Then it's definitely on the inside or the plastic itself. I'd look at removing an assembly and swishing denatured alcohol around inside them to see if the haze is just from build up over time. If not at least you ruled that out. Worst case, look into simply replacements.

Zcutty69
06-09-2021, 09:52 AM
Yeah I'm looking into aftermarket replacements now. I might also open one up and try to clean the inside lightly with alcohol. Now can the inside of a headlight be sanded or polished at all ?

Desertnate
06-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Technically you can open up most of the assemblies, but they aren't designed to be opened. Depending on the assembly some are easier to open and then close/re-seal. The big issue I've seen from seeing people who have cracked up assemblies for various reasons is ensuring they don't leak/accumulate moisture.

At this point it becomes a question of how much time/effort you're willing to spend vs buying a new assembly...or one from a salvage yard.

Zcutty69
06-09-2021, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, this car was only made for two years so finding replacements that are in good condition at a junkyard are very slim. These headlights can be opened, it's common to open them up and black out the silver,grey housing. I have butyl strips from diode dynamics available to re seal them. That being said, I don't really want to open them if I can't work on the inside of the lense without damaging it.

I will more than likely just purchase after market replacements and call it a day tbh.