PDA

View Full Version : Help with Single Stage and Megs #7

CorLeb
06-08-2021, 01:53 PM
Started bringing the paint on my '81 Vette back to life last week. After 3 applications of Megs #7 it is night and day difference. But... I am left with some swirling & "cloudy" areas that I can't seem to get away from. It seems like the number of these instances increased on removal of the 3rd application. Looking for some advice on where my technique may need improving. Lighter application? Less soak time? Different towels? Different product? Now, this paint is far from perfect, cracks and chips all over, but I feel like these imperfections are self inflicted and would like to figure it out before I wax.

Full wash and clay before hand
First two application/removals were with generic terry cloth towels
Last application/removal with TRC Edgeless 365
All applications left on overnight
While doing this process have learned it was repainted at some point

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks in advance,
-Cory

2black1s
06-08-2021, 04:57 PM
Some of those "swirled/cloudy" areas look like incomplete removal of the #7.

I would try re-wetting those areas with the #7 and working it in a bit, then immediately removing/buffing.

If you are going to follow-up with a compound and/or polish step, that would also most likely remove the residual #7.

JDGolden
06-09-2021, 11:58 AM
Some of those "swirled/cloudy" areas look like incomplete removal of the #7.

I would try re-wetting those areas with the #7 and working it in a bit, then immediately removing/buffing.

If you are going to follow-up with a compound and/or polish step, that would also most likely remove the residual #7.

I agree, you can see in pic 4 there is a wipe mark. Nice looking vette!

robwoodgto
06-09-2021, 01:02 PM
I grew up with a couple of brothers whose dad was a paint and body man and then they followed up with the business. They all loved #7 and introduced me to Meguiars. #7 has been around a long time and is in my opinion great stuff. I’ve been sing it since high school

In my experience since #7 is a pure polish there is no need to, and I believe it is not recommended by Meguiars to let it dry on the paint. #7 is a Fast wipe on wipe off. That may be your issue here if you are leaving application on overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

CorLeb
06-09-2021, 04:28 PM
Was hoping to go straight to wax, but after reading the feedback I tried some finishing polish and you guys nailed it. I'll be spending tonight going over the rest of the car, thanks all!