PDA

View Full Version : Polishing and Coating Over Extended Time

serper3
06-06-2021, 03:24 PM
Hi!

I have a question on what you guys recommend for someone like me who only gets to detail for 1-2 hours a day? One of my cars is garaged, the others live outside.

For claying, I would just rinse the panels I would clay that day, wipe them down (wash), rinse, start to clay. Easy.

Prior to polishing, I have been doing the same as above. and then drying the panel. This is also pretty self explanatory I think. I have been polishing about 2-3 panels a day or so. I know I am slow, I probably need to listen to Mike Phillips and count my passes out loud.

My question in between polishing and coating... what should I use to get the dust off the car for the garaged car, and what should I use to get the dirt off from the cars being driven that live outside? Should my process be maybe to tackle the panels start to finish in one day? wash, decon, clay, polish and coat 1-2 panels a day. Then repeat this process the next day on the next 1-2 panels, etc?

Any other tips on this!?

Also, have a question on getting road film off glass. I have seen glass be polished to get some more clarity. I think I need to clay it first right? What is a good pad and polish to use for this? I have cut max, perfect finish and BF one step. Have the white LC pads.. would these work? I also have a Meguiars MF pad, and a blue HDO LC pad.

Thank you!

Klasse Act
06-06-2021, 03:28 PM
I'd just do a waterless wash [emoji362]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

glen e
06-06-2021, 04:12 PM
Learn to do a rinseless wash for your garage vehicle. Google the “Gary Dean method” on YouTube, or source here for rinseless wash. A great rinseless product is ONR or Carpro Ech20.

For years I slaved over my cars, not anymore , I macjhine polish once a year, I wash my cars every week or two, and I wipe on a sealant every 3 to 4 months. And my cars look as damn good as when I spent 10 times the effort on them 10 years ago.

Klasse Act
06-06-2021, 04:15 PM
Learn to do a rinseless wash for your garage vehicle. Google the “Gary Dean method” on YouTube, or source here for rinseless wash. A great rinseless product is ONR or Carpro Ech20.I'd stay away from Ech2o if your inbetween steps because it has protection in it, so I'd go with Mckee's N914 or Feynlab made up as a waterless wash at a stronger dilution since it's being prepped. Heck, a stronger dilution is great for pre-LSP installation too[emoji362][emoji106]

Bruno Soares
06-06-2021, 07:45 PM
I'd stay away from Ech2o if your inbetween steps because it has protection in it, so I'd go with Mckee's N914 or Feynlab made up as a waterless wash at a stronger dilution since it's being prepped. Heck, a stronger dilution is great for pre-LSP installation too[emoji362][emoji106]

This. If doing a rinseless or waterless make sure to use a product that won’t leave protection behind as that will interfere with the coating bonding. Careful that McKee’s now has an N-914 product with wax. You want the regular one which can also be used at a 1:8 ratio for panel wipe.

Texchappy
06-06-2021, 08:00 PM
With my health issues, using rinseless/waterless, I’ve been doing things section by section for a long time. However, trying to do that with coating proves to be a real pain in the tuckus. Whatever you do with the initial processes, I would do all the coating in one go.

noorth
06-07-2021, 09:20 AM
Hi!

I have a question on what you guys recommend for someone like me who only gets to detail for 1-2 hours a day? One of my cars is garaged, the others live outside.

For claying, I would just rinse the panels I would clay that day, wipe them down (wash), rinse, start to clay. Easy.

Prior to polishing, I have been doing the same as above. and then drying the panel. This is also pretty self explanatory I think. I have been polishing about 2-3 panels a day or so. I know I am slow, I probably need to listen to Mike Phillips and count my passes out loud.

My question in between polishing and coating... what should I use to get the dust off the car for the garaged car, and what should I use to get the dirt off from the cars being driven that live outside? Should my process be maybe to tackle the panels start to finish in one day? wash, decon, clay, polish and coat 1-2 panels a day. Then repeat this process the next day on the next 1-2 panels, etc?

Any other tips on this!?

Also, have a question on getting road film off glass. I have seen glass be polished to get some more clarity. I think I need to clay it first right? What is a good pad and polish to use for this? I have cut max, perfect finish and BF one step. Have the white LC pads.. would these work? I also have a Meguiars MF pad, and a blue HDO LC pad.

Thank you!

I detail in short sessions too. Like others have said get some mckee's 914.

For my windshield i used sonax cutmax and cutting microfiber pad last year after claying and it cleaned up the windshield a lot. However, Carpro also has a glass polish, ceriglass. I forgot to pick up a small bottle my last order so i will probably just stick with cutmax this year. I think i have everything i need for the season. The only thing on my radar now is a tire coating in the fall. They are expensive though - carpro's anyhow - just might go with gyeon tire or something.

Bruno Soares
06-07-2021, 11:41 AM

For my windshield i used sonax cutmax and cutting microfiber pad last year after claying and it cleaned up the windshield a lot. However, Carpro also has a glass polish, ceriglass. I forgot to pick up a small bottle my last order so i will probably just stick with cutmax this year. I think i have everything i need for the season. The only thing on my radar now is a tire coating in the fall. They are expensive though - carpro's anyhow - just might go with gyeon tire or something.

Make sure you read all the pros and cons of a tire coating and that you want to commit to it. Unlike paint, that one can easily polish to start over, tires aren't so easy to have the old/failed coating removed. I tried it and found it's not for me, I'll stick with tire dressings. But maybe try it for yourself, perhaps not on your favorite vehicle.

noorth
06-07-2021, 11:45 AM
Make sure you read all the pros and cons of a tire coating and that you want to commit to it. Unlike paint, that one can easily polish to start over, tires aren't so easy to have the old/failed coating removed. I tried it and found it's not for me, I'll stick with tire dressings. But maybe try it for yourself, perhaps not on your favorite vehicle.

Yeah, the little bit i have read it seems to be a lot of effort for what you get. Most likely i will pickup gyeon tire or fireballs tire dressing.

Thanks!

serper3
06-07-2021, 12:48 PM
Learn to do a rinseless wash for your garage vehicle. Google the “Gary Dean method” on YouTube, or source here for rinseless wash. A great rinseless product is ONR or Carpro Ech20.

For years I slaved over my cars, not anymore , I macjhine polish once a year, I wash my cars every week or two, and I wipe on a sealant every 3 to 4 months. And my cars look as damn good as when I spent 10 times the effort on them 10 years ago.

I think I have read a lot of your posts on camaro6! I definitely want to get some rinseless/waterless for taking care of bugs or bird poop when needed. In the past I have tried to avoid washing my garaged car every week when they get a bit dusty to avoid the extra touching. It is only driven maybe once a week. Then i wash it every month usually with water. My whole process takes about an hour so i feel if it is even a tad more safe, it seems worth it? I really do want to get the waterless though for every now and then, when it is lightly dusty and I really want it to be clean, i can just do it with the car in the garage real quick the morning of a drive or whatever.

I am also really considering getting a car cover for the garage. I think once I wash it, I can cover it. only cover it when it is clean to avoid scratching. I know people on here are against covers though!? but if I could keep it from getting dusty after washing, it would be nice.

I'd stay away from Ech2o if your inbetween steps because it has protection in it, so I'd go with Mckee's N914 or Feynlab made up as a waterless wash at a stronger dilution since it's being prepped. Heck, a stronger dilution is great for pre-LSP installation too[emoji362][emoji106]

This. If doing a rinseless or waterless make sure to use a product that won’t leave protection behind as that will interfere with the coating bonding. Careful that McKee’s now has an N-914 product with wax. You want the regular one which can also be used at a 1:8 ratio for panel wipe.

Thanks, sounds like the n914 is what I need!

With my health issues, using rinseless/waterless, I’ve been doing things section by section for a long time. However, trying to do that with coating proves to be a real pain in the tuckus. Whatever you do with the initial processes, I would do all the coating in one go.

I was deciding whether i want to coat a few of my cars, or just my garaged car. if needing to coat in one shot I might only end up coating my garaged car as this will be easier to keep clean, waterles wash and coat in one - two days one weekend. Just probably too much work on the other cars if I cant split it up. Why would you say it is a pain to split it up?

Thanks! I will give the cutmax a try on the windshield and see how it goes!

rover137
06-10-2021, 05:30 AM
I detailed my wife’s new SUV over 3 sessions and around 2 weeks.

I did the full decon wash (iron x, tar x) brushed out badges, wheels etc all in one go. The car lives outside so after that I would rewash the car, clay panels to be polished, polish, then coat x 2 layers with Cquartz Lite.

It definitely took longer than if I just did it in one go or over a few days as the car was washed 3 times, and I think that coating in one go is much more efficient than 3 separate sessions. I wouldn’t say coating in multiple sessions can’t be done, but it did add some time to the overall process having to set everything up, then still wait certain times between layers even though you were just doing a small area which itself was rather quick. However, I did like the idea of have a portion of the car 100% clayed, polished and protected in a session.

If the car is garaged and not used a lot in-between sessions, like others have suggested I’d find a good waterless/rinseless wash like ONR to remove the dust. I would probably also then do a light panel wipe to remove any residue if it were me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk