PDA

View Full Version : A novice comparo test - 4x Griot's, Sonax, FK

oneheadlite
06-02-2021, 12:06 PM
First off, let me take this opportunity to thank our members that deliver the really scientific comparison tests. This will not be one of those. :laughing:

Think of this more like a Go/NoGo gauge. Due to my commute and putting family time first, I can't say I'll stay consistent on how often the car will get washed, though honestly I figure that'll be part of the appeal. For testing, (and to keep it "in the family"), I'll only be using Griot's Brilliant Finish Rinseless Wash.

I'll try to provide updates as I observe anything noteworthy.

What's the test? Took the chance to try out a few things I've had sitting on the shelf that I've been curious to compare. Divided my roof into 7 sections and will be comparing:

1: Griot's Liquid Gloss Poly Wax - Applied after cleaning up the section with Griot's Correcting Cream
2: Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 Wax - Applied over Griot's Finishing Sealant
3: Griot's Finishing Sealant (standalone)
4: Ceramic Speed Shine mixed 50/50 with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer - Applied after cleaning up with Griot's Correcting Cream
5: Ceramic Speed Shine - Applied after cleaning up with Griot's Correcting Cream
6: Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 Wax - Applied after cleaning up with Griot's Correcting Cream
7: FK1000P - Applied after cleaning up with Griot's Correcting Cream

You may ask:
Why products over Finishing Sealant instead of bare naked paint?
Since it's not as easy as I'd like to be able to spend the hours required to do a full correction/application, I'm toying with doing touch ups with an all in one and topping with an LSP. More specifically, using the method I learned about here from Cruz's car wash where you: do your AIO and let it all haze, then apply a spray of your LSP to the panel and buff it all off.
I did this last summer with my Wife's Mom's car using Blackfire One Step and Sonax PNS and was really happy with the results. Why not just keep doing that combo? A: Out of PNS. B: thanks to too much reading on here, I've got way too many things on the shelf to try and too little time to use them. :laughing:

Why would you mix Ceramic Speed Shine and Brilliant Shine Detailer?
A while back, people talked more about doing mixes of BSD with V07 spray sealant to help cut down on the grabbiness of BSD. I figured - Hey, I don't have V07, but I've got this Ceramic Speed Shine that's pretty sweet, why not? Are they compatible? Maybe Probably Not? But I bet it won't rot my roof off, so why not give it a shot?

As mentioned above, I didn't go super scientific setting it up. No tape, just used reference points to set up my test areas. For my own car, I didn't really want to leave any glaring lines where one section was polished vs AIO'd. I figure when it's all over, it'll be plenty easy to blend it all back together.

Observations during application:
Liquid Gloss Poly Wax was super nice to apply/remove. You forget how little work a thinly applied liquid sealant is! Also, nary a drop of sweat shed worrying about high spots.
I applied FK1000 too heavily by hand, so buff off was a bit finicky. Again, did that to myself.
Shortly after applying everything, I found the BSD mixture was eager to separate/congeal? I only mixed like an ounce of it in a little 3oz pump sprayer, so no loss there.

Ran out of lunch hour, so I'll wrap it up here for now. I'll jump on Tapatalk to get a photo or two up.

More updates to follow shortly - There's been pollen and rain since the test started. :dblthumb2:

JDGolden
06-02-2021, 01:21 PM
Interested. I have multiple vehicles I'm applying FK1000P to this month.

SNP209
06-02-2021, 04:28 PM
In for results. I mixed BSD with TW ice spray wax and got the same separation you were referring to, I find a good shake helps remedy the situation, although it will separate again.

I'm currently using BSD 50/50 with Meg's HCD as my topper of choice and am pleased with the results. I haven't checked to see if they separated due to the fact its in a dark flairosol bottle, but I always give it a good shake before each use.

Below is a beading pic of BSD/Meg's HCD as a standalone on unprepped painthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210602/6083217eac68436298d6acc011985d95.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
06-02-2021, 05:08 PM
First off, let me take this opportunity to thank our members that deliver the really scientific comparison tests. This will not be one of those. :laughing:

I beg to differ.........:props:

oneheadlite
06-03-2021, 01:15 PM
In for results. I mixed BSD with TW ice spray wax and got the same separation you were referring to, I find a good shake helps remedy the situation, although it will separate again.

I'm currently using BSD 50/50 with Meg's HCD as my topper of choice and am pleased with the results. I haven't checked to see if they separated due to the fact its in a dark flairosol bottle, but I always give it a good shake before each use.

Thanks for sharing! I don't know that I'd use what's left of the mix I did; even though it mostly re-blends when you shake it, you can still see little bits of "solids" clinging to the sides. If it turned out to be the runaway winner, I could see mixing it ounce by ounce (15ml + 15ml) like I did here and use it as you go. If nothing else it was something fun to try, and curiosity will have been satisfied.
Though thinking about it after the fact I also thought about trying to blend the Foaming Poly Gloss with something as well... (Yes, I know technically it's supposed to be rinsed off after allowed to dwell... but what if you didn't? :dunno:

I beg to differ.........:props:

Thanks Paul. But our more Dr level members would have more to contribute regarding feel/darkening/application/etc. Unfortunately the lighting in my garage is still on my to-do list, and I was under a time crunch to get everything set up/applied. But, should be fun to see how it goes. :props:

I'll confess - mainly the goal here is to see what works out to be the most live-able for bird bombs and water spotting since the car often goes a fair number of miles between deep cleans. It'll be nice to have stuff side by side to see how things look after weather/washes.

Ran out of lunch break - I'll get those pictures up soon!