PDA

View Full Version : need sound advice on where to start correcting my paint

Robscoe
05-31-2021, 02:33 AM
Hey guys, so i purchased a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T recently with 158,000 original km no rebuild (95,000 miles) for 5800 cdn (4750usd). It’s pretty clear to me that someone did some very rushed repainting on this car, from a distance it looks just fine.

But get closer and there’s all sorts of stuff that drives me nuts. As i can not afford a professional paint job, and i’ve heard that even with good preparation and such using those fancy do it yourself 3 step cans is not a good idea? I have a little touch up pen thing that works nicely for little spots but there’s so many little ones i was wondering what i can realistically do to help improve the look even if only a bit.

I’m a very patient and determined fella when it comes to my vehicles (as evidenced by my choice in purchase lol) i really enjoy the car i got a stage 1 tune for only 450 (325 american) from unitronic and boy did i wake the car right up. Lots of fun! Just the paint is driving me mental, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also wondering if there’s any specific product that shines better on a silver car than another. Wax, Sealant, whatever works is good for me. I do like the Blue Hybrid Ceramic spray wax it really surprised me, as it’s easy. Was considering trying the m06 cleaner wax as i’ve never used one before. Going to pick up a polisher in the next day or so too. Again thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to read this and even more thanks to those who can offer some advice.

someone did a rush job - Album on Imgur (https://imgur.com/a/0Q8T5Ya)

HTX
05-31-2021, 11:37 AM
It's difficult to confirm my suspicion from the photos but 2 of them appear to show that paint has been sprayed on top of the existing paint without any prep work at all. The photo near the tail light seems to show the top coat peeling off of the bottom coat. Also, the bumps under the paint are likely contaminants not properly removed before painting was applied.

Hopefully, I am wrong, but If I am correct, there is no going up from here as the paint will continue to peel and flake off over time because, (as the tail light photo suggests) new paint won't stick to an unprepared surface for long.

You may be able to buy yourself some more time by wet sanding the whole car, use the touchup pen where needed, then use an aggressive compound to smooth it over. Meguire's 105 and 205 with a good buffer can get the job done. Then seal the paint with a sealant or ceramic coating.

Robscoe
05-31-2021, 08:25 PM
It's difficult to confirm my suspicion from the photos but 2 of them appear to show that paint has been sprayed on top of the existing paint without any prep work at all. The photo near the tail light seems to show the top coat peeling off of the bottom coat. Also, the bumps under the paint are likely contaminants not properly removed before painting was applied.

Hopefully, I am wrong, but If I am correct, there is no going up from here as the paint will continue to peel and flake off over time because, (as the tail light photo suggests) new paint won't stick to an unprepared surface for long.

You may be able to buy yourself some more time by wet sanding the whole car, use the touchup pen where needed, then use an aggressive compound to smooth it over. Meguire's 105 and 205 with a good buffer can get the job done. Then seal the paint with a sealant or ceramic coating.

i believe your correct, some of the bumps look like they were using a spray can and not adequately cleaning the nozzle and big drops were kinda spitting out and one looks like it’s just dripped down while wet lol. There’s other things that i won’t bore you with as far as mechanical side of things that show the previous owner was quite ambitious, but lacked the proper umm, forethought and prep and just kinda dove into things.

i was considering buying some of the primer, color matched paint, and then the clear coat spray as well. And just totally sanding down the worst spots and re-spraying those, but then i run the risk of even patchier paint.

I’d be lying if i said i wasn’t tempted to just sand down the whole bloody car and re-spray it myself. i can’t imagine how i could make it any worse than it is right now as i’m the type that is more than happy to do the adequate prep work as i want good results.