PDA

View Full Version : Does Microfiber Start to Melt at 140F [my dryers low setting]

Fallguy007
05-28-2021, 04:09 PM
My dryers low setting generates approx 140F on low. Thinking from other areas I have read that around 140F+ is where heat can start ruining microfiber???

Pretty much line or air dry my micro fiber now but still wondering: A approx what drying temp microfiber starts to suffer damage.

vaca22
05-28-2021, 04:29 PM
I've done the Air Dry thing on my dryer, but ended up having to run at least another cycle to get the towels dry.

140 seems pretty high for low. I believe my low temp setting is supposed to be like 125. Setting the machine to Delicates on Low should be pretty good.

SNP209
05-28-2021, 04:34 PM
Microfiber consists of polyester and nylon, for the most part. Both of which have melting points that are greater than 140* F.

Using microfiber in conjunction with a steamer is pretty common in the detailing industry. Well guess what? Water turns to steam at 212* F and I don't see those towels melting away.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

FUNX650
05-28-2021, 06:34 PM
My dryers low setting generates approx
140F on low. Thinking from other areas
I have read that around 140F+ is where
heat can start ruining microfiber???

Pretty much line or air dry my micro fiber
now but still wondering:
A approx what drying temp microfiber
starts to suffer damage.

•IMO:
-No, you don’t have to worry about a
measely 140°F melting/ruining the
micro fibers in your MF-towels...that’s
just propagation of an internet myth.

•There are 6 (six) “types/grades” of
polyamide, each having their own
melting point temperatures.
-“Type/Grade 12” has the lowest
melting point = ~350°F
-“Type/Grade 4,6” has the highest
melting point = ~563°F

•Anecdotally speaking:
-The majority of the microfiber towels that
I’ve purchased are alleged to have been
made from “Type/Grade 6,6”...which has
a melting point of ~500°F.

Bob

Rsurfer
05-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Microfiber consists of polyester and nylon, for the most part. Both of which have melting points that are greater than 140* F.

Using microfiber in conjunction with a steamer is pretty common in the detailing industry. Well guess what? Water turns to steam at 212* F and I don't see those towels melting away.

Good point.:xyxthumbs:

Eldorado2k
05-28-2021, 09:04 PM

http://i.imgur.com/YHEL7gy.gif

Coatingsarecrack
05-29-2021, 01:06 AM
Read on Adams site and other places that if your MF are not performing to boil them for a few minutes.

If you can boil them you can dry them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prange
05-29-2021, 06:58 AM
Read on Adams site and other places that if your MF are not performing to boil them for a few minutes.

If you can boil them you can dry them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried boiling them once. It had no effect on restoring their absorbency. It's certainly worth a try, though.

Towels are consumables, when they stop working properly, it's time to replace them.