PDA

View Full Version : Claybar without any further steps

ItsKYRO
05-26-2021, 04:06 PM
What happens to clear coat / paint if you wash then clay bar but dont follow up with polish or wax?

Eldorado2k
05-26-2021, 04:13 PM
The paint will be smooth, but will become contaminated again due to not having applied any wax/sealant/coating to protect against it. The rate that it will become contaminated depends on the environment the vehicle is parked at.

But otherwise no harm is done.

ItsKYRO
05-26-2021, 04:14 PM
Thank you for clarification on this!

PaulMys
05-26-2021, 04:55 PM
What happens to clear coat / paint if you wash then clay bar but dont follow up with polish or wax?

There is also the risk of marring the paint with the clay. Which is why most people polish afterwards.

glen e
05-26-2021, 05:05 PM
This is a little bit like sanding a piece of unpainted furniture completely to where you want it, but then not putting on any paint or varnish…

FUNX650
05-26-2021, 07:17 PM
What happens to clear coat / paint if
you wash then clay bar but dont follow
up with polish or wax?

The Claying process removes contaminates...
which in turn leaves microscopic ‘holes’...
which in turn provide easier points of access
wherein future contamination can enter.

•That’s why I at least finish up the Claying
process by applying a Wax.
-The Wax will fill those holes: thereby shield-
ing the paint system, and the underlying sub-
strate(s), from those contaminates and their
accompanying paint destroying corrosiveness...
until the Wax needs to be renewed.

Bob

oneheadlite
05-26-2021, 09:57 PM
What about if one were to use a clay lubricant that leaves protection behind?

Optimum was the first I remember recommending using their spray wax as a clay lubricant. Many rinseless wash contenders frequently have clay lube ratios, most leave something behind. I’ve got a lot of Griots on the shelf; their Rinseless Wash and Wax as well as Ceramic Speed Shine both are recommended by them for use as a clay lube.

Like Paul mentioned though, your biggest risk I think is leaving marring behind. Clay barring is really just rubbing contaminants off your paint (even though they get captured in the process), so there’s always the chance you could be left needing to polish to get back to where you started. Especially with dark paint where it’s most noticeable.

opie
05-27-2021, 05:37 AM
Cant think of a reason one would go through the work of claying and then not applying an lsp afterward...makes no sense lol.

And to the OP, try the nanoskin autoscrub mit. Cuts clay time in half and is my go to.