PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Waterless Wash Considering Cost Per Wash

Pages : [1] 2

joebruin77
05-24-2021, 06:50 PM
I am a big fan of rinseless and waterless washes. My questions today are focused on choosing a new waterless wash.

My favorite waterless wash up until now has been Meguiars D115 Express Wash and Wax. I love how well it cleans, the gloss it leaves behind, and the scent is addictive. But the dilution ratio is 4:1, so to fill up my 1000 ml spray bottle, I have to use 200 ml of the concentrate. If I buy the gallon bottle of D115 at $69.99, this comes out to around $3.60 per wash.

For the same 1000 ml of waterless wash using Wolfgang Uber, the cost is around 60 cents per wash. And using Mckees37 N-914 was a waterless wash, the cost per wash is around 30 cents.

Opticlean, at the 3:1 dilution ratio, comes out to $2.60 per wash using the gallon concentrate.

1) Do you think the wax and protection that D115 leaves behind is worth the additional cost?

2) When used as a waterless wash, are the Wolfgang Uber and Mckees 37 N-914 more likely to induce scratches since they use such little product per wash compared to the D115?

3) Any other recommendations for a waterless wash that cleans well, minimizes chances of inducing scratches or swirls, and is a lower cost per wash?

Thank you,
joebruin77

Klasse Act
05-24-2021, 06:52 PM
Check out Griot's Garage Brillant Finish rinseless[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The Guz
05-24-2021, 07:02 PM
What are you looking for? Are you looking for a product that leaves protection behind? Or are you looking for strictly cleaning?

joebruin77
05-24-2021, 07:28 PM
What are you looking for? Are you looking for a product that leaves protection behind? Or are you looking for strictly cleaning?

I am looking for one of each. Some days I want one that is super quick and washes and protects in one step. Other days I like one that just cleans and I can then apply a spray wax in a separate step.

Thank you.

Klasse Act
05-24-2021, 07:44 PM
I am looking for one of each. Some days I want one that is super quick and washes and protects in one step. Other days I like one that just cleans and I can then apply a spray wax in a separate step.

Thank you.CarPro Ech2o and Griot's Garage Brillant Shine rinseless [emoji106][emoji106]

bob m
05-24-2021, 07:49 PM
CarPro Ech2o and Griot's Garage Brillant Shine rinseless [emoji106][emoji106]

The OP is asking about a Waterless wash. I use Griot's BSR but only as a rinseless wash. Have you used it as a WW? For myself, I'm satisfied with Ultima WW, but certainly am open to trying something else.

Klasse Act
05-24-2021, 07:57 PM
The OP is asking about a Waterless wash. I use Griot's BSR but only as a rinseless wash. Have you used it as a WW? For myself, I'm satisfied with Ultima WW, but certainly am open to trying something else.Oh, my bad...no on Ech2o as a WW. I'd stick with N914 or Feynlab without a doubt for WW!!

The Guz
05-24-2021, 08:22 PM

Thank you.

I would look at McKee’s 37 N914 for straight up cleaning and their SiO2 Rinseless Wash which leaves pretty durable protection.

I believe Wolfgang is the same formula.

EcH20 is a good option but it won’t leave durable protection.

PaulMys
05-24-2021, 08:25 PM
I would look at McKee’s 37 N914 for straight up cleaning and their SiO2 Rinseless Wash which leaves pretty durable protection.

I believe Wolfgang is the same formula.

EcH20 is a good option but it won’t leave durable protection.

I have believed the same after trying numerous products from both lines.

joebruin77
05-25-2021, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I use Griots Garage 3-in-1 spray wax as my main form of protection. Does it make sense to use a waterless wash that contains SiO2 on top of GG 3-in-1? Or is that mainly formulated for cars with a ceramic coating?

Klasse Act
05-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I use Griots Garage 3-in-1 spray wax as my main form of protection. Does it make sense to use a waterless wash that contains SiO2 on top of GG 3-in-1? Or is that mainly formulated for cars with a ceramic coating?I see nothing wrong with that at all[emoji106][emoji106]

dcjredline
05-25-2021, 11:08 AM
Dude, I feel you are thinking WAY too far into this if you are breaking it down per wash and worrying about one being .30 and one being .60. Id worry more about what result you want cause the cost of the most expensive one you listed (if it did what you wanted) was only <$4. I think if you are getting what you want for $4 you are doing GREAT. I wouldnt worry about the extra $3.20 it costs per week to have a clean and shiny and protected vehicle right?

joebruin77
05-25-2021, 12:31 PM
Dude, I feel you are thinking WAY too far into this if you are breaking it down per wash and worrying about one being .30 and one being .60. Id worry more about what result you want cause the cost of the most expensive one you listed (if it did what you wanted) was only <$4. I think if you are getting what you want for $4 you are doing GREAT. I wouldnt worry about the extra $3.20 it costs per week to have a clean and shiny and protected vehicle right?

That's a helpful and healthy perspective for me to consider. Thank you!

damonb10
05-25-2021, 12:42 PM
D115 is a good product. It says on the container it can be diluted up to 20:1.

To adjust the cost per wash have you considered upping your dilution? Try 8:1 and see how it goes. You would double the volume of use with that.

Eldorado2k
05-25-2021, 02:31 PM
1) Do you think the wax and protection that D115 leaves behind is worth the additional cost?

2) When used as a waterless wash, are the Wolfgang Uber and Mckees 37 N-914 more likely to induce scratches since they use such little product per wash compared to the D115?

I went from using Meguiars D115 to Wolfgang Uber Rinseless as a waterless.

The answer to your 1st question is yes. @4:1 the protection left behind by D115 is legit, especially since it’s applied so frequently. I personally know a friend who I turned onto waterless washing who hasn’t had to clay his car for 3+ yrs. thanks to using Megs D115. Most impressive results I’ve ever seen.

The answer to your 2nd question is no, the WG won’t instill swirls, but it does feel less substantial than using D115. The reasons I chose to switch were because I wanted a different choice of protection and also cost and the fact that the WG leaves nill protection behind and doesn’t alter current lsp. Just make sure to use liberally if you decide to go with the WG Uber.

Fyi, I used to use D115 @6:1 It stretched it a bit further/made the cost easier to swallow while keeping just about the same results/experience. That way I got 7 gallons out of a bottle instead of 5.

Whatever you choose, I recommend mixing gallons at a time. When I mixed D115 I would use distilled water.
Mixing 1L bottles all the time is a PITA. You probably have to do that way too often.