PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang Si02 Polish — First Use

spewking
05-23-2021, 12:41 PM
As a huge Wolfgang WGDPS user and fan, I used the new Si02 sealant this weekend.
it was easy to apply and wipe off just like WGDPS…no real differences noted. It did seem slightly more watery but such had no impact. Applied by machine with an LC red pad.

I put on 2 coats of the Si02 — just like I do with WGDPS — even though I could not find any advice to do so. I waited over 12 hours between coats. Strangest thing occurred….the surface now feels rough with some stubble like there is sand on the surface. I feel it more on the hoods than I do on the sides. The surface is not smooth (which it was after the first coat). I did take my soft MF towel and apply significant pressure to see if perhaps the polish was not entirely removed —- it worked a little to smooth things out in a few areas but other areas did not improve. The rough texture is not visible as you look at the car.

Any ideas? Is the rough texture the Si02? Is it caused by the 2 coats? Have you experienced this with any Si02 product?

dgage
05-23-2021, 12:57 PM
Did you clean the car before applying the second coat? Could it possibly be dust trapped on the car that settled after the first coat?

spewking
05-23-2021, 01:05 PM
Did you clean the car before applying the second coat? Could it possibly be dust trapped on the car that settled after the first coat?

Could be. I recall I did a quick dusting, but did not use my usual process of an Uber WW wipedown of each panel before LSP application.

Mike Phillips
05-24-2021, 07:55 AM
I put on 2 coats of the Si02 — just like I do with WGDPS — even though I could not find any advice to do so. I waited over 12 hours between coats.

For what it's worth - here's my review and it's probably in the top 40 articles I've written for being incredibly rich in how-to information.

Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/125864-review-wolfgang-si02-paint-sealant.html)

This product has zero cleaning ability and nothing in it that could be chunky or gritty.

My guess is the paint was contaminated before you started. Foam and non-cleaning products will not remove bonded contaminants.

Maybe try claying a section and then inspect to see if that section now feels smooth. The Baggie Test should always be done before detailing any car.

:)

spewking
05-24-2021, 08:06 PM
For what it's worth - here's my review and it's probably in the top 40 articles I've written for being incredibly rich in how-to information.

Review: Wolfgang Si02 Paint Sealant (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/125864-review-wolfgang-si02-paint-sealant.html)

This product has zero cleaning ability and nothing in it that could be chunky or gritty.

My guess is the paint was contaminated before you started. Foam and non-cleaning products will not remove bonded contaminants.

Maybe try claying a section and then inspect to see if that section now feels smooth. The Baggie Test should always be done before detailing any car.

:)

Thanks Mike. I prepped the car completely, so I am guessing there was dust or other contaminants that hit the surface before the second application. I did the 2nd application the morning after the 1st and I did not wipe it down prior to, so even though it was garaged, there must have been some surface dust, etc.

So, for those of you who put on 2 coats hours apart/overnight, I’d get some waterless wash and wipe down each panel before application.

DUBL0WS6
05-24-2021, 09:50 PM
I washed my car Sunday. Within about 10 minutes it had pollen start to settle on it. My guess is pollen.