PDA

View Full Version : Nano: luxury or very useful

Pages : [1] 2

Texchappy
05-22-2021, 07:39 PM
I was surprised just how many small/difficult to polish areas there are on cars until recently. Was polishing my wife’s Navigator which I figured was the poster child for large flat panels, and relatively it is. However, there were a lot of places that even a three inch pad on a PC seemed to big.

Probably wouldn’t have thought about it but for the presence of the Nano and PiXiE.

So are machines like these essential, gimmicks, or luxuries to your process?

98CayenneTA
05-22-2021, 07:56 PM
Imo the Nano is essential if you do this for a job.

If it's a hobby, get what ya can with what ya got and forget about the rest.

PaulMys
05-22-2021, 07:59 PM

IMO, this is the answer to the question in a nutshell. Unless you have unlimited funds and can afford to buy one for the hell of it.......

General Toner
05-22-2021, 08:20 PM
I only detail my own cars, but I use the nano often. I have a 15, 75 and nano. The nano is obviously good for small spaces, it works great on wheel barrels. I question the nano purchase at times, however every time I actually use it I'm thankful that the money was spent.

Dan Tran
05-22-2021, 08:32 PM
The iBrid Nano is one of the most useful tools that you can add to your arsenal.

You will be glad that you have one.

My most favorite preference of usage is in rotary mode using the 1” pads.

DFB
05-23-2021, 05:50 AM
Is the iBrid Nano a luxury? Certainly yes.

Is the iBrid Nano necessary? Yes and no.

No because you can machine polish almost a whole car with a 3 inch and 5+ inch machine and finish off with hand polishing if needed.
Yes because once you use one, you realize how useful they are.

If you can afford one, just get one. I sat on the fence for a while, mainly due the cost of these in Australia. Once I opened the box, I just knew I made the right decision. The Nano feels like a really solid machine and so balanced in your hand. I'm only a hobbyist and sometimes professional, I'm so glad I have it in my arsenal.

https://i.postimg.cc/CxzF2KMh/rup15.jpg (https://postimg.cc/LJFKY2Zw)

https://i.postimg.cc/02gng04B/feb21176.jpg (https://postimg.cc/nMkBBBp4)

mc2hill
05-24-2021, 10:59 AM
I was surprised just how many small/difficult to polish areas there are on cars until recently. Was polishing my wife’s Navigator which I figured was the poster child for large flat panels, and relatively it is. However, there were a lot of places that even a three inch pad on a PC seemed to big.

Probably wouldn’t have thought about it but for the presence of the Nano and PiXiE.

So are machines like these essential, gimmicks, or luxuries to your process?

There are other 'cordless micro polishers' available waaay below the Rupes price point (I have a rotary and a DA version). The rotary is fantastic for doing headlights, but am planning other uses for the new DA one.

xeoto
05-24-2021, 12:37 PM

Lance Mark
06-02-2021, 03:37 PM
there is what looks like a great deal right now for 535 for the long neck kit......been looking at this for a while now

I had some spots on my bike where this would have come in handy....there are no shortage of tight spots

I'm just an enthusiast, but this looks like it needs to be part of the stable :)

Texchappy
06-04-2021, 08:25 PM
If I wanted to put out the cash fir top of the line, Flex PiXiE or Rupes Nano? See threads asking for comparison but not many concrete answers.

dwaleke
06-04-2021, 10:42 PM
If I wanted to put out the cash fir top of the line, Flex PiXiE or Rupes Nano? See threads asking for comparison but not many concrete answers.

While there is overlap in what the tools can do I see them as different tools.

I almost exclusively use the PXE as a 3" DA polisher. Small, light, effective.

I grab the nano to get into tighter spaces and for working even smaller areas where more precision may be needed.

dcjredline
06-05-2021, 12:13 AM

There is almost NEVER a concrete answer here no matter what you ask. There are always at least 2 sides and sometimes multiple sides.

Bruno Soares
06-05-2021, 04:16 PM

I think the Flex is a better tool and more versatile but if you’re buying one to get into tight spaces, then it has to be the ibrid nano. The Flex works with 1” pads but it’s a little bulky and won’t fit the spots the Rupes can.

Texchappy
06-06-2021, 05:08 PM
Been going back and forth on this for a while, all the more so since Autogeek put the short neck systainer on sale. Pulled the trigger on it this afternoon.

Desertnate
06-07-2021, 11:21 AM
While not quite a small as the Nano or Ibrid, I just picked up a Griots G8. After using it for the first time two weeks ago, I wondered why I waited so long.

When detailing a 2020 Dodge charger I found it small enough to get into just about everywhere I needed to go and was able to get into plenty of places unreachable with my G15. At this point I think a 3" polisher is a better in general than a much smaller tool unless you have some very small ornate areas like on an old classic car or a motorcycle. The fact it's great for polishing out headlights is an added bonus.