PDA

View Full Version : Griots G15 — LC Hybrid Pads incompatible?

spewking
05-22-2021, 06:52 PM
I took my Griots G15 polisher for its first drive today. I was most surprised that the griots backing plate did not provide the firm grab with my LC Hybrid pads and hold them firmly in place. As a result, the pad would shift to off-center and require me to stop and recenter the pad on the backing plate.

The griots backing plate did not hold the pad firmly and made me wonder if the pattern of the backing plate and the fabric on the pad were somehow incompatible. Frankly, it was horrible. The pad would slip and become off center (usually if the pad was on any surface that wasn’t completely flat) which then made polishing impossible so I’d have to stop and recenter the pad. This happened on all sizes. This never occurred with my Flex and its standard backing plates.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is Griots backing plate a different interlocking pattern? If so, is this an attempt by Griots to make you use their pads? Is there a different backing plate I can use? Frankly, it made this first experience horrible and time consuming.

PaulMys
05-22-2021, 07:00 PM
I do not have any LC Hybrids.

But I do use the LC Flats, Thin Pros, and the few CCS pads I have with the Griot's (5 inch) BP and they work just fine.

I cannot be 100% positive since I do not own the Hybrids, but I wouldn't think LC would use a different velcro for just Hybrids.

Have you tried any other pads with the G15? Maybe the Griot's BP is defective?

spewking
05-22-2021, 07:07 PM
I am going to try to attach some of my other LC pads (flat, CCS) and see if the attachment is any firmer. The hybrids were easy to peel off the backing plate…little attachment strength. I’ll let you know tomorrow.

PaulMys
05-22-2021, 07:25 PM
I am going to try to attach some of my other LC pads (flat, CCS) and see if the attachment is any firmer. The hybrids were easy to peel off the backing plate…little attachment strength. I’ll let you know tomorrow.

:xyxthumbs:

spewking
05-23-2021, 10:53 AM
:xyxthumbs:
Well, much to my surprise….you were right!!!! The backing plate that came with my new G15 somehow is defective! I had forgotten until this morning that I had purchased a “back up” backing plate….it had the correct amount of grip! The pads stuck tightly to this backup plate…I really couldn’t believe it so I attached/removed the pad to both plates and sure enough there was a major difference. I looked closely at both plates and really could not see any differences. I don’t know if this was a fluke (the backing plate on the G15 I purchased was defective) or if this is a wider design flaw for Griots. Since their service is apparently excellent, I am going to call them tomorrow and report this and see if/how there is any recovery actions they wish to offer.

Again, would appreciate hearing if anybody else has experienced this.