PDA

View Full Version : Engine Detailing

J&L Detailing
04-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Hey Guys long time no talk, I am looking to get into engine detailing this season but i am not too sure on what products are used to clean the engine. I know the ovious cover the battery, alt, etc but other then that i wouldnt know what to use to get it clean, I am going to use my car as the lab rat probally in the next few weekends. :cheers:

makdaddy626
04-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I like ARO... but most any APC will work.

richy
04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I've only done it on one, but I used ARO followed by 303..see for yourself:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/9465-04-saab-1st-engine-detail-lots-pics.html

J&L Detailing
04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Wow that car looks great it looks like a mirror. and the engine is nice also. I have ARO I will use that with a brush. Thanks for the info.

richy
04-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Wow that car looks great it looks like a mirror. and the engine is nice also. I have ARO I will use that with a brush. Thanks for the info.
Thanks...I used the ARO and agitated where needed and rinsed with a pw (not too close) and then dried it with my leaf blower prior to dressing with 303...that method worked well for me. the leaf blower helps ensure you get the water out; I know some people also run the engine for a few minutes as well.

makdaddy626
04-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks...I used the ARO and agitated where needed and rinsed with a pw (not too close) and then dried it with my leaf blower prior to dressing with 303...that method worked well for me. the leaf blower helps ensure you get the water out; I know some people also run the engine for a few minutes as well.

:iagree::whs::goodpost:

nrz
04-11-2008, 04:45 PM
NEWB question, What's ARO?

blk45
04-11-2008, 04:50 PM
NEWB question, What's ARO?

Amazing Roll Off

HAN
04-11-2008, 06:43 PM
ARo works, but most APC's work and are easier on the wallet; like megs APC, diluted 4:1 with water would do the trick. Some OTC options like Purple Power work well, too. I usually dress the engine afterwards with Optimum Protectant Plus (old version) or CD-2 engine detailer.

Pete

RTexasF
04-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I've never covered anything other than the exposed cone filter on my own car. As mentioned, degreaser, pressure washer, wipe down, then spray CD-2 or Stoner's More Shine. Short and sweet but don't forget the underside of the hood and other areas that are not so obvious until they dry and look awful.

Got one with a distributor? Have WD40 at your side if it won't start. Spray it inside the dist. cap and fire it up!
Some things are obvious like don't soak the distributor, alternator, and so forth. Pretty much common sense.

jesselyons2002
04-12-2008, 12:24 AM
There was a engine detail contest on this forums. You should go look it there. Alot of good ways people clean the engine on there cars and customers.

supercharged
04-12-2008, 12:49 AM
I use ZEP citrus degreaser, found in local Home Depot; cut 1:1 with water it works really well. You can also use Megs APC+. If engine is pretty clean, try 10:1 Megs APC+, if it's really dirty/greasy, try 4:1...

Good luck and remember to post some pics.