PDA

View Full Version : Not So Dirty Seat Got Filthy After Cleaning Huh?!

spirittoo
05-20-2021, 11:33 AM
I was cleaning the inside of my 2003 Camry with cloth seats. They were not that dirty but I could see dirt spots here and there. So I used some carpet cleaner, some resolve, and even some hydrogen peroxide. I used a drill with a brush, and a portable carpet cleaner to suck up the water. The more I cleaned the seat the worst it got. It when from a not so dirty seat to a filthy one.:dunno:

I have not own the car that long, only a few months so I don't know what the seats have actually been through. I just don't understand how it can get dirtier than what it was! What can I do to get rid of it and get the seat cleaned?Feed back please

Thanks for reading my post.:thankyousign:

Texchappy
05-20-2021, 12:17 PM
No expert but I’m sure that stuff was there, just buried in the seat. You’re just bringing it more to the surface.

Reminds me of a top gear episode where the three jokers each bought a BMW 3 series convertible and one of the ‘challenges’ was taking a swap of the interior to send to the lab. The results were, how do I say this, ‘interesting’.

Odrapnew
05-20-2021, 12:51 PM
I agree with Texchappy.

I remember something like that in my old 85 Mustang.
We borrowed a carpet cleaner from a friend so I decided to clean the seats and carpet in the car.
As I was cleaning, there were a few spots that showed up (definitely weren't there at the beginning).
I continued to go over them multiple times and they eventually faded away.

If you keeping going over the spots, they should eventually go away.

spirittoo
05-20-2021, 09:00 PM
Thanks I will try it again tomorrow and keep at it until it is gone. Thanks again for reading my post. :awesome::wave:

oneheadlite
05-20-2021, 09:13 PM
I’ve heard of that with cloth seats where stains can go beneath the fabric and into the foam, thus you’re actually activating the sub-surface stains in the foam when you’re getting the seat wet trying to clean it.

Sadly, I’m guilty of doing the internet thing and replying where I don’t actually have an answer to help with. Hopefully some of the experts can chime in as I don’t have any firsthand experience chasing a stain like that.

I do know you need to be careful with how much moisture you put into the seat foam as it can turn into a mold/mildew/funk problem if you can’t get it dried back out.

Prange
05-21-2021, 06:13 AM
It may be more economical,(time-wise) to have new seat covers installed.