PDA

View Full Version : First polishing experience - Black swirled car

Xcessiv
04-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Hi!

My 4 years old black paint is getting pretty swirled after all these years without a complete polish. I wax it 2-3 times per summer, but now I think it really needs some serious care.

Here's the paint under 2x 250w bulbs:
http://www.xcessiv.net/gallery/main.php/d/1874-2/Polish01.jpg
http://www.xcessiv.net/gallery/main.php/d/1876-1/Polish02.jpg

Here's what I plan on buying:
1x Flex 3401
2x Grit Guard Bucket Insert
1x Riccardo Clay Lubricant
2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" Blue
2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" Orange
2x Lake Country CCS 6.5" White
10x Tornado Buffing Towel
2x 100% Sheepskin Mitt
1x Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds Wash
2x Snappy Clean Foam Pad Cleaner
1x Trim Tape

1x Riccardo Clay
1x Menzerna SIP
1x Menzerna Nano
1x Poorboy's EX-P
1x Poorboy's Natty Blue

Big total: VERY EXPENSIVE :( :( :(

1) Do you have any suggestion?
2) Should I add/replace some products?
3) Will the Flex and products combination take care of all these swirls?

Thank you!

vinnier6
04-11-2008, 08:27 AM
the sip seems kind of intense for your job, i tend to start out with the least agressive and then move up if needed...you could save a few bucks with a pc or udm vrs the flex as well, since you said you bill was high....the flex or udm/pc is more than enough machine to correct your paint swirls....pad selection seems fine as well...use the orange first followed by the white, then the blue for the final product...i would do the nattys by hand...

Xcessiv
04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
The Flex isn't THAT much more expensive here in Canada considering the power/speed difference. The difference is around 120$ and I think it worths it (both for useability and resale value).

Should I order IP + Nano then? Or should I use SIP + Nano with a white pad?

I want to choose the best generic intensive polish because I'm too short on budget to buy IP and SIP.

makdaddy626
04-11-2008, 08:48 AM
You won't be disappointed with the Flex or SIP. If money is tight and your only going to work on your own car(s) check out the new Wolfgang 3.0 polishes - if they're not rebottled Menz SIP and Nano they're pretty close, and you can grab a 16 oz bottle of each for around the cost of a single 32oz bottle of Nano.

Xcessiv
04-11-2008, 08:52 AM
You won't be disappointed with the Flex or SIP. If money is tight and your only going to work on your own car(s) check out the new Wolfgang 3.0 polishes - if they're not rebottled Menz SIP and Nano they're pretty close, and you can grab a 16 oz bottle of each for around the cost of a single 32oz bottle of Nano.

My supplier only carries Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. Is it the same thing?

makdaddy626
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
It would be Total Swirl Remover 3.0 (the new formula) and Finishing Glaze 3.0 (also a new formula). Here's a link to the pair on the AG site.

Create a flawless finish in 2 simple steps with the Wolfgang Duo. (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgangduokit.html)

Oldad
04-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Sounds like what I've been doing this week.
I bought a UDM and kit from autogeek. With extra orange pads.
Working on a black hood that looked just like your pictures plus some scratches and swirl markx.
Also using up some of the many half used bottles of various cars care products on my shelf.
Starting with a clean surface(Hood).
I used a 5" orange CCS pad and 3M swirl mark remover for dark colored cars.
3 complete passes were required to slowley work through the swirls and scratches. Being new to UDM I wanted to go slow.
I next used Zaino AIO (All-in-one) on a white pad. 2 compete passes showed progress.
Next I used Zaino Z5(white pad), may have been to heavy, as it left some streaks and hazy areas when removed.
I went back and did the AIO again and followed it with Z5, thinner coats this time around. Still had some minor halo rings and hazy areas.
Guessing I could do no further harm I applyed Mothers liquid carnauba.
BEHOLD= just what I was after. A dark black wet halo and swirl free finish.

:buffing: Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

oneseba
04-11-2008, 10:00 AM
If your car is not iron clad coat (Mercedes/VW/Audi), a UDM will do fine with Nano and green LC Pad. Green pad can both polish and burnish with the Nano. I prefer to use the 5.5" as the denser foams (from white up in 6.5") introduce a lot of vibration.

Sounds like what I've been doing this week.
I next used Zaino AIO (All-in-one) on a white pad. 2 compete passes showed progress.
Next I used Zaino Z5(white pad), may have been to heavy, as it left some streaks and hazy areas when removed.
I went back and did the AIO again and followed it with Z5, thinner coats this time around. Still had some minor halo rings and hazy areas.

I use green LC pad for both Nano and ZAIO and it's best to hand apply Zaino sealants (Z5/Z2) for even thin application (I prime MF applicator with a spray of distilled water). If you have to apply with DA, try using the red pad instead.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I thought you said you already spoke with Chris at E-Shine and placed your order.

Xcessiv
04-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes, the order was placed ~2 hours after I asked about the Wolfgang products.

Can't wait to test this Flex!

Mr Dream Machines
04-11-2008, 09:30 PM
that's some serious swirls
Unless you have soft paint, that would take some powerful pad/polish combinations to remedy.

Like Hi temp extreme cut and black wool or PG and yellow wool

Xcessiv
04-12-2008, 12:49 AM
I do have a soft paint, and that's why the Flex was the clear winner for me.