PDA

View Full Version : I've been noticing a shiny car trend at work and they have at least these four things in common

jem7sk
05-19-2021, 06:31 AM
I've noticed a trend lately where I am seeing several cars at work that are always extremely shiny and look freshly cleaned and waxed. I started to investigate and discovered these four things:

1. They are all driven by women
2. They all look great and brand new (the are all newer cars)
3. They are all washed everyday at the local drive through subscription car wash
4. They all have lite, squiggly scratch marks when you look at them closely (not as bad as swirls)

Which leads me to wonder what is the best procedure to maintain a new car when you are not into detailing your car the way we are? I would say most people wash their cars once a month, if even... and then they usually induce lots of swirls in the paint. They probably never wax or seal the car.

Is this subscription car wash the best way for the average car owner to maintain their cars?

Buster906
05-19-2021, 06:42 AM
I have observed people drying their vehicles after going through a tunnel wash. These people use beach towels, diapers they use on the wheels and finish. Cotton rags and no microfiber. No one uses a drying aid.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bill D
05-19-2021, 06:50 AM
The average person is practically guaranteed to have defects of some kind unless they become an Autogeek. I’d refer them to this forum and some Mike Phillips articles if they want to become defect free

glen e
05-19-2021, 01:04 PM
I get a new car every year based upon my retirement package. The way I maintain my car is very simple. I touchless wash them every two weeks, put on a sealant once without polishing, such as 303 graphene, and after the touchless wash, I wipe the car down w/ car Pro elixr = More stout than a QD, but lighter than another sealant.Simple , easy and the car Always looks like I just took delivery of it the day before. Extremely hydrophobic, water and dirt fly off the car.

jem7sk
05-19-2021, 03:05 PM
I get a new car every year based upon my retirement package. The way I maintain my car is very simple. I touchless wash them every two weeks, put on a sealant once without polishing, such as 303 graphene, and after the touchless wash, I wipe the car down w/ car Pro elixr = More stout than a QD, but lighter than another sealant.Simple , easy and the car Always looks like I just took delivery of it the day before. Extremely hydrophobic, water and dirt fly off the car.

That's a great retirement package Glen.. BMW really takes care of its people. How long were you with them?

When you say touchless wash do you mean you use a hose or power washer or do you go to the car wash?

glen e
05-19-2021, 03:45 PM
22 years - regional sales manager in Penna, Tx and South Fla.

I mean the touchless wash that you go through that just uses a spray on your car and never touches it, not the one type with the wand that you put quarters in…If I have the energy, I sometimes instead will do a rinseless wash using the Gary Dean method w/ five towels, and car Pro Ech20.

weekend warrior
05-19-2021, 04:10 PM
This what I think a lot of new cars come with some kind 0f sealant or coating.....My neighbor has a 3 year Cadillac a every time I see him I asked what wax do you use and his answer...is never waxed it...it came from the dealer this way....it pisses me off because I use coating...sealant...my car looks great...but I work to keep it looking good

glen e
05-19-2021, 04:35 PM
Every dealer still sells a “protection package” of some sort… Simoniz is a good example. It’s a polymer that is put on by a person who doesn’t care, they charge $300-$500 for it, and pay about $30 to the vendor that sells them the product. I know because I used to buy it as a general manager for my dealership. The way it continues to look good is they usually charge an annual $150-250 “recharge fee“ where you bring the car in every year and they put on more. So there’s no magic to it at all, if you wanna pay the money, your car can look just as good as a “new car”.

jem7sk
05-19-2021, 04:40 PM
The women at work are paying $29.99 a month and driving through Bill's car wash every day
Unlimited Club | Mysite (https://www.billscarwash.com/unlimited-car-wash-club)

Bill D
05-19-2021, 04:49 PM
Every dealer still sells a “protection package” of some sort.

I'm sure glad the dealer didn't bother to offer that to my dad. Upon meeting me and hearing me talk about extreme detailing,it's no wonder to me why they didn't.